1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So You've Just Bought A Brand New Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PocketGroove82, Sep 22, 2008.

1. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    You fell in love with it, at first sight. You're ecstatic during the wait and you finally crack open the case and the smell is intoxicating. You drink in the good looks and, after a while, you decide to open the compartment and see the case-candy they've included with your new instrument. Then, all of a sudden, you see it. It's unsightly and beguiling; your head starts to pound with confusion. You can't help but laugh out loud.

"What the hell am I gonna do with this P.O.S.!?!", you say to yourself.

Yes, by now you've figured out. I'm talking about that crappy "bass strap" Fender includes in the case! Wow, flimsy leather held together by a belt buckle fed through a Maxi Pad shaped shoulder pad backed with, you guessed it, an actual Maxi Pad. W.T.F., over?

Does anyone actually use these straps anymore? Is the inclusion of these straps some sort of throwback to the past? Is Rick Danko the only person in the world who's been photographed using one? Should I grow mutton chops and try? Someone, please enlighten me.

:p

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

John Mayer uses one. But for Eleventeen bajillion dollars in endorsements, I too would use one and suck up the backpain, chafing and cuts!

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

P.S. You miss-spelled "Pleather".:p:D No animals were harmed in the making of those straps, Sir!

4. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Give it to your guitarist.

5. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I use mine for my guitar. I got strap locks on my basses and have two straps for them. for guitar the elcheapo straps aren't too bad.

6. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    And I thought I was the only one who noticed that. I mean really, when you're buying a $1k+ instrument, you'd think they would either give you a halfway decent strap (costing more than 3 cents to make) or just figure that you already have one.

But no.

They feel the need to slap you in the face. With a crappy strap. :mad::spit:

C'mon Fender, at least give me a nice vintage looking one, or something :(

7. Yes, I laughed, then proceeded to put on my comfort strap.

8. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Ohh, superfunk47...if anything the strap DOES look vintage! But, every other aspect of the strap fails the litmus test. Infact, I'm sacred it may ruin the nitro finish of my "57 reissue P-bass. Yet, Fender decided it smart to place a tag reading "CAUTION: let the bass warm up a bit in the case before opening it!" on the tweed case handle it came in. Now, I'm wondering if they should have included a tag on the strap that says, "Do not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, actually use this strap with your nitro finished bass!"

PLEATHER IS RIGHT!

9. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    No pics no strap. :eyebrow:

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I like the oldschool vintage strap Fender includes, or used to include, in its AV series basses.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The strap is useless. The patch chord I use to practice with, no problems there.

12. Heh heh...for a minute there, I thought you were referring to the bass. :smug:

13. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Thanks for the recommendation, Smallmouth. Really. I was inspecting the "MacBook Grey" patch cable included with my new "vintage reissue" Fender and I thought it looked pretty weak and astoundingly un-vintage. Collectors, please correct me if I'm wrong, did skinny gray cables ship with late 50s precision basses? Are these cables (and aformentioned strap) actually period appropriate? Luckily, the solder connections seem strong and, with your recommendation, I will give it a chance to prove me wrong. Had it been a classic looking curly, spiral cable or a tweed one, I would feel a lot better. lol. :)

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like it and have two.:bag:

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Wanna give me that strap PocketGroove? I'll trade a normal strap for it :p

16. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    i personally love the strap.

17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I don't think you two are thinking about the same strap. The AV (reissue) strap is leather and pretty cool. The strap that comes with the regular old MIA basses is some sort of vinyl thing that looks nice, but is pretty cheaply made.

18. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I'd give it to you but the NYC markup is 300% on most purchases. So, it will cost you 15cents plus shipping. Cool? :bag: :)
    Actually, I have two of these novel pieces lying around now and should probably try selling them to Chinese eBay scammers so they can copy them and attempt to sell them back to me as the real thing. I can see the ebay add now:

"Bass Strap Frnder Leather Top Quality Sale! Play Electric Fiddle Bass In Class With Athuentic Cow-Grade Shoulder Resting Sitrap! Buy It Now 35.00$AUS."

:bag:

Explain Yourselves!

19. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Me too.Hahaha.:smug:

20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One of my guitarist friends uses it on his strat. I'm trying ot convince him to get a real strap instead of that pleather garbage.