1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

soap bar and mm mix question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by butchonious, Oct 8, 2009.

1. butchonious

butchonious

Jul 22, 2009
    I want to mix a dual coil EMG "soap bar" with a EMG music man dual-coil pick up. I like the way both of them sound independently. Is this a sane idea? There is something about the music man pickup besides size right?

2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    IIRC, the 5-string Schecter Stargazers do just that. Sounds fine to me.

EDIT: Never mind, it's just a J and a MM. However, I don't see why it wouldn't work, and I'd imagine it wouldn't be too much of a problem at all.

3. butchonious

butchonious

Jul 22, 2009

Attached Files:

35.jpg
      File size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
    • MMCS.
      MMCS.jpg
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In my experience pickups sets work best when each of the set is designed as part of the set ... often the one of these, one of those approach results in a lack of balance in the set. OTOH - that imbalance could be the happy accident that becomes part of your sound. Who's to know until you try it ...

5. [​IMG]

Traben Array is like that.

6. butchonious

butchonious

Jul 22, 2009
    ah ha. exactly. How does it sound? do you or have you played that bass line6man? thanks for the inputs all.

7. I have one that I have been trying to sell for a long time now.

It sounds ok I guess, but it's really not my kind of bass tone, so my opinion isn't all that valid.

The bridge pickup sounds pretty thin soloed, but blended in with the neck pickup sounds good.

8. butchonious

butchonious

Jul 22, 2009
    interesting.