Soap Bar\Humbucker question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by War Word, Apr 1, 2005.

1. War Word

War Word

Mar 29, 2005
    I was wondering if someone could describe the difference in those pickups for me(the way they sound)
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it's like comparing apples to oranges. See, soapbar refers to a shape, which is typically about twice as wide as a traditional "Jazz" pickup. Humbucker refers to a function of pickup design.

Single coil pickups traditionally produce a hum around 60 Hz if there isn't another pickup to cancel the frequency. Humbuckers employ a second magnet to cancel the frequency. Recent designs of humbuckers have them in thin casings like the "Jazz" pickup cover, as opposed to soapbars, which is the casing that used to be favored for humbuckers. An example of a humbucker in a jazz pickup shape is the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz.

You might get better information by performing a search and if this was moved to pickups, btw.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I've owned P-bass pickups on my Squier, EMG Jazz on my Cort, and now I have Mighty Mite Soapbars. Out of all of them, I REALLY like the soapbars. You can get a cool tinny sound if you get set it to just the bridge, and a cool fat (I like to call semi distorted) type sound. Blended together, it just sounds really nice.

So if you could choose, go with soapbars or Jazz pickups IMO.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What about soapbars that are jazz pickups?

Similarly, EMG also makes a P pickup in the same casing...both are soapbars.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as RAM said, there is not necessarily any difference.
    Humbucking refers to a coil configuration.
    Soapbar refers to a shape.
    Check in the pickups forum and do a search, I've answered this question many many times there.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. The Pickups forum would be a good place to search. That's where I am moving this.