Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

soap bar pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Feb 16, 2005.

1. I'm really thinking I'm about to buy a new essex, and I would like it to be a five string. However, some pickup configurations are not offered in the 5-string versions of their basses. Ultimately, I'm probably picking between these two basses:http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=850849|940496&PRID=1018860
    http://www.rondomusic.net/bg205.html

I don't know anything about soapbar pickups, and was wondering how they would differ from the p/j setup.

Related question - Rondomusic has this message on it somewhere: "This site is no longer being updated with the latest models. Specs and colors of current models may also vary."
    I've used the email adress given on that website to ask about options that aren't on the site and haven't heard back. I know many people here have talked with the guy in charge of rondomusic and I would like to know how I should go about contacting him to ask about if they offer the setup and finish I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys. :)

2. Single coil soapbars, IMO, would sound a lot like the jazz pups if they're placed in the classic jazz positions.

You could get the soapbar bass and swap the pups out with a pair of KA humbucking soapbars (around $150 for the pair) and you'd probably have a very nice sounding bass. Throw in a couple of series/parallel switches and you'd have a VERY versatile instrument.

I like the look of the soapbars, too.

3. I'm very new to playing bass, so I'm not really considering modding it. I'm really just looking for a good "first bass".
    You say that the soapbars probably aren't too far off from the jazz pups(Which is good enough for me), but would they be able to produce the range of sounds that a P/J can produce? Again, I'm not too experienced here; I haven't played basses with these setups, but pickups with a versatile range of sounds would be good for me so I can figure out what I like in a bass's tone.

4. My general feeling is "yes" they will provide you with a range of sounds, just from the fact that there are two pickups. I'm not very experienced with the SX single coil soapbars, but I do know that there are some awesome humbucking soapbars out there.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either bass as a starter.

Neck pickups are located to pick-up more of the fundimental tones (the basic low note) of the strings, and they give the tone that deep/round sound.

Bridge pickups are located to pick-up more of the harmonic tones (the higher "character adding" tones) of the strings, so they give you the brighter, growlier, cutting sounds.

Because both basses are 2 pickup basses, you'll get a variety of sounds by mixing the two pickups.

There's a HUGE SX thread here, search for your models and see what people have to say about them.

5. Thanks a bunch, I never knew that about pickup placement. This should help me a lot.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You should also find plenty of info if you do a search for soapbars in Pickups. That is where I am moving this thread.