Soap Box: "The Rules" from July 2005 BP

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bassist4Life, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY

I was thrilled to see that you got the soap box in BP. I got the new issue yesterday and it was the first thing I read.

I love that you said, "Listening is the first and most profound musical activity." Of course! "Careful listening is always my best tool for deciphering the musical vernacular used in ANY particular project."

Thank you for this. I think that musicians tend to overlook this seemingly obvious musical activity. It's easy to focus on technique, theory, sound, gear; all very important, but if you're not listening...

Thanks again for all you do and contribue to the world of bass. I'm looking forward to the arrival of your Carbone/DiPiazza/Manring Trio CD. As soon as you give the word, my check will be in the mail.

2. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    I was also glad to find this in BP. I thought it was a much needed breath of fresh air in a magazine that seems to obsess over this thing called "the groove" so much that it has lost any sense of meaning. Keep it up Michael! I know that I will keep listening AND reading

3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    It's easy to remember when you play with others who don't. ;) The most frustrating thing I've run into in music is playing with other people who don't listen. Usually a crazy drummer who fills in every space with dave matthews style fills or a guitar player who just shreds over everything. If anything kills the desire to play this is it! It's like why bother... they're playing enough for the whole group!
  4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, guys. It was nice of BP to allow me to pontificate a bit. I'm so glad it made sense to you!

I agree that playing with musicians who don't listen is a major pain in the butt. So much so that I sometimes find it physically exhausting. Nevertheless, when I find myself in that situation I try not to let it keep me from listening. I figure there's got to be something to learn from just about every musical experience - even if the lesson is a negative one!