Soapbar equipped basses - noisy live?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi guys-

I was wondering if anyone has noticed that their soapbar-powered (or other huge pickup style) basses are more prone to electrical/RF quirks, interference from lights, and other related problems? Short of swapping to another bass, what are you guys doing to remedy this?

2. My Rockbass Streamer Standard has 2 soupbar style pickups and has basically no hum what so ever, in fact that's the one advantage it has over my Geddy Lee Jazz at the moment.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Right. Normally, soapbar pickups are fully humbucking. That is, each pickup is humbucking, unlike single-coil (J-bass style) pickups that are only humbucking when both are used together.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Are you asking because you are having issues yourself? I would imagine it would be an issue with shielding or maybe even grounding as opposed to the types of the pickups themselves.
  5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never had a noise problem with soapbars...any excessive pickup noise would lead me to look at grounding and shielding!
  6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    Yeah, my Status Graphite KingBass has dual soapbars and they're dead silent.

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

no hum or buzz at all ...

Attached Files:

8. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I have some Villex soapbars in one of my basses and they do pickup some interference depending on the blend position and available sources of intererence of course (computer crt monitors, light dimmers), but that is only because they are single coil and not humbuckers.
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    "Soapbar" is kind of a general catch-all description for pickups that are housed in rectangular housings - I think more depends on exactly how the pickup is configured. But in a general sense, I've found that most "soapbar" designs are more modern in nature and therefore better shielded.

...and dare I say this should be in "Pickups"?
  10. One if my basses has EMG soapbars in them and it's dead quite.
  11. Single coils hum badly - humbuckers do not...ergo the name. If you have some grounding issues with your amp, put a three prong adapter on your amp power cord and turn it one way or the other to help with the grounding.