1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soapbar question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zigman, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Zigman

Zigman

Apr 10, 2016
    Ok i am in the proses of painting a kapok fretles, when i pulled out the soapbars i notest that they have 4 wires comeing from them, but 2 of the 4 are hooked to gether and taped up? Why? The pickup itself is sealed with epoxy or something like it so i can not see or tell where the wires go or do? The outher 2 one ground and one hot. So what are the outher 2 wiers for? Anybody know

2. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    I presume it's a humbucker with two coils wired in series, but the wires left out so you could tap them for parallel or single-coil operation.

sissy kathy likes this.
  3. Zigman

Zigman

Apr 10, 2016
    So like they are taped up its humbucker mode?

4. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    I presume. I don't have knowledge of these pickups specifically, but that is how my P clone is wired.

5. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Most soapbars that are humbucking have the coils side by side. If you use only one coil you will only hear the strings over it.

6. Zigman

Zigman

Apr 10, 2016
    So if i take the 2 wires that are twisted together and wire them to a switch it will go from sieres to parallel?

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yes you'd be able to switch back and forth. Do some YouTube searches to hear parallel. I think you'll find it's not worth the effort because IMO, parallel tone is unusable and generally displeasing. Ymmv.

8. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Each of the 2 coils has 2 wires, as though they were 2 separate pickups, sound is subjective, but...(imo) they are at their best by far wired in series as a humbucker, (with those 2 wires connected), you have several options with the 4 wires, but, none will sound as full as the way they are wired now. On a guitar (6 string), getting that single coil, thinner sound is sometimes useful, to have that "Tele"-like sound available, and a switch to go to higher output thicker humbuckers gives a lot of flexibility. On a bass, it might not get used much, depending on taste.