Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soapbar shapes w/ different sounds...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thwackless, Jun 11, 2004.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I have a Schecter bass with EMG HZ's. Though they sound pretty good with the BTS preamp (big, round, and bloomy for reggae), I'm looking for something a bit richer and dirtier, and am interested in what's around in the way of choices. (I already went through the forum...).

The string-spacing on the Schecter (Stiletto Elite-4) is rather narrow, compared to a Fender Jazz, for instance. If I could find something with individual poles to fit this narrower spacing, like an MM-type, that would fit into the slot now occupied by my EMG's, that'd be pretty ideal.

I just want everything to be nice. :)

Thanks for your read,

Rog.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

I had a Stiletto and the string spacing is narrow. The bridge pieces can be moved if necessary but a Schaller roller bridge fit's them nicely and you will be able to make lateral adjustments in string spacing with it. But you will be able to see the center hole for the Schaller between two of the Schecter bridge pieces if the Schaller is removed and the Schecs re-installed. Otherwise you'll probably need to stick to a pup with a blade/bar type pole piece.

But the fact is, you're probably going to be extremely limited to pup options due to the dimensions of the routing - and, I'm guessing, not likely to do better than the HZ's. You may come closer to getting what you're looking for by checking out multi-fx units, or - and probably more expensively - something with a speaker emulator.

Your best bet is probably to go to harmony central and look up Stiletto, (or any bass you know that came with HZs) reviews and hope that somebody has a review on one that's had a pup swap meeting your description.

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks for your reply, Luk,

O.k., that's interesting. I wouldn't be so averse to an accommodating rout-mod, though, if I found the right p'up- the only stopper is the string-spacing at the bridge, which I'm getting on with pretty well.

I was in fact toying around with the dip-switches on the BTS preamp (came with the set-up) today, and found I'm getting something that sounds distantly similar to the Jazz I just sold (the sound of which was working for me). So I'm not in despair over it. It's not as if the HZ's are useless!

There's always a give-and-take in all this biz, so I'm going to end up allright no matter what I do: I can play it comfortably- there y'go. And as it happens, the lines are pretty clearly drawn as to when I stop looking for one thing and go on to the next (recording stuff...)- esp. since I seem to have found a reasonable sound in what I have ( well, I'll tell you in a month!). Thanks for your time and word,

Rog.

:bassist:

4. Hmm, I wouldn't get too hung up on the string spacing. An awful lot of soapbar pickups have bar magnets, so it doesn't really matter what the string spacing is. Try measuring the casings for your HZ pickups, then checking the EMG site to see if they're the same size as the active EMGs. If they are, you should be able to find different pickups from EMG, Bartolini, and Seymour Duncan to fit the same routes.

Another possible route (no pun intended) would be to try out different sets of strings. I'm always amazed at how much different strings can sound.

Mike