SoCal Amp/Cab tasting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millard, Feb 1, 2006.

1. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    * * U P D A T E * *

This has been booked. If you didn't get an email, you didn't send me one. Please let me know ASAP if you want to make this event scheduled for Saturday afternoon, March 11.

Please email me ASAP at if you want to be invited.

Anyone ever put together a "tasting" session?

I hate buying stuff when there is a high likelihood that I'll return it to the store. I hate trying stuff out in a store, usually, because the environment is so unfriendly to actually listening.

What if a half dozen of us rolled in some of our cabs and pre-amps and amplifiers and took turns trying out each other's stuff? We could do it in a rehearsal studio so we'd have at least an okay room. You could play your own bass through it (what a concept). You could play my bass through your rig if you want. Whatever.

By SoCal, I pretty much mean Orange or LA county as the meeting location. If this sounds like something you are interested in doing, PM me with an email address and I'll work out arrangements among those interested.

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I'm posting rather than PMing in order to express my interest in such a venture, to show solidarity toward a good cause rather than leaving this up to backdoor shenanigans and risk losing a few would be participants for fear of being the sole interested parties.

Because yeah, I hate trying out amps in stores.
  3. im in.
    at own a schroeder 1212 and plan on getting either a 1212 lite or 21012 or 410 lite..
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I'd problably be up for that. Although, it looks like Millard and I have the same preamp. :meh:
  5. momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'd be down. Could we bring along a drummer and someone to play guitar to see how they hold up in band contexts. That seems to be my biggest frusteration.
  6. if we go to a place that comes with backline amps and drums, i would play guitar.
    i have been playing guitar alot longer than bass.
  7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I can hack my way through a kit, and I hit pretty hard so for a change that's a good thing. :D
  8. the place we practice at is right by angels stadium, right off the 57.
    it comes with a guitar 1/2 stack, an ok bass rig, and low end drum kit.
    its about 30$ for 2 hrs, depending on the size of the room...
  9. xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    Well I for one really like the idea and I'm pretty close. Let's set up a night!

The only bad thing is that I've only got a modified Ampeg 4x10 pro (Eminence Delta Pros handles 2500W) so I don't have much to contribute as far as innovative cabs are concerned. It will be interesting hearing how my solid state QSC and BassPP stack up against other heads. Pretty much the best thing about my rig is that it makes loud guitarists cry for their mommy (3400W) and doubles nicely as a PA when not in use for bass :D

I've been looking to get something better (tonewise) but I'm loathe to do so when I can't actually try it out with my rig and bass. This might be a good chance for me to catch some serious GAS :p
  10. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Like I emailed Millard, I'm real comfortable with my rigs now, but I'm up for it.
  11. xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    Anyone still interested in this? Has anyone setup a night yet?
  12. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    Whoa, my bad. Since I asked for email/PM, I wasn't really watching the thread. I though permagrin was the only interested party (and we already play some of the same stuff).

I'm certainly up for coordinating this, but email addresses would be helpful so I don't have to send individual PMs.

I've got an RBI and SVP-Pro pre, Eden, Bergantino, Bag End and MusicMan cabs (and, of course, my Cortobasses).

Okay, let's do this. PLEASE, email me at with the gear you would be willing to bring out, your city/studio of choice and whether you like Saturday or Sunday afternoon better. I'll find a spot that seems reasonably centrally located, preferably with decent backline so we can try out those amps, too. :D

For me it would be Bomb Shelter Rehearsal studios in Westminster -- nice place, nicely run and pretty good backline gear.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
  14. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    Okay, I'm collecting email addresses and moving forward with scheduling this. Expect to hear from me this week. Right now I'm thinking Saturday afternoon Feb 25 or Mar 4.

If you aren't in on this yet and want to be, now is the time.

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ya know, you could put this in offtopic and get it sticked at the top.

SoCal GTG
  16. ill be out of town for a gig in SF the weekend of the 4th.
    i really want to try your RBI with my PLX.

also, the brown truck just dropped off a skyline glaub for me.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

17. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Sansamp RBI
    QSC RMX 2450
    Epifani NYC 310

Would be interested in making the drive if we could get someone with some Mesa gear to appear.
  18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

I'm interested.

I can bring a Goliath III, an SVT 4 Pro and a 2pup Ray.

You guys like effects?:D
  19. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm very interested, im in the la area and I've got a db750 and two gs210's, 1990 warwick thumb, new rob allen mb2, and swr goliath III, with some effects and other cool stuff
  20. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Speaking of effects, nothing out of the ordinary, but I've got Hao's Bass Rust Ride, Electro Harmonix's Bass Micro Synth, and a Small Clone in the mail.
    And as far as basses, nothing very exciting. Two Js (60's Classic fretted and a MIM fretless), Fernandes Tremor 4DLX, then that driftwood P.