1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Socked w/ duties importing from Japan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jul 23, 2007.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I recently bought a bass on eBay from a dealer in Japan. To my surprise, I was hit up for about $80 in duties when it was delivered by my friendly postman. When I posted back to the seller to tell him he ought to give US buyers a heads up, he was genuinely surprised that I had to pay duties. He said it is very rare. So, just my bad luck, or is there a new game in town?
    I know USPS has just changed their rates for oversize pkgs. I'm sure to try and make up for all these years of undercharging compared to the competiton. Shipments like mine fron Japan are sent via EMS express service and then USPS local delivery. Coincidence?
    Has the man just wised up and started cashing in or was it random? I am about to bid on another bass and wondered what others may have experienced lately as far as paying duties in this situation. Thanks!

2. You could try having them send it as a Warranty Repair, and that might waive the fees.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Just thank god you don't live in Canada. I just paid $60 duty on $130 shoes! We really get hosed!

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I hear you, I know this is a drop in the bucket.
    I'm just wondering if I was randomly assessed duties or if it an across the board thing here in the states.i.e are they cracking down all of a sudden. I've got to factor it into my bid then.
    I wouldn't ask the seller to lie, he's got a good rep.