1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

socks.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 6, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i saw some people tie things around the 1st fret part of the bass to mute the open strings(for tapping I think) and since my sweatbands arnt big enough to go around my headstock, i tied a (new) sock around it really tight. It makes a really interesting sound.

anyone else done this? or am i just too lazy to buy a proper thing for doing this (if there is one)

2. I've tried that, but it usually smells too bad to play....:eyebrow:

Actually, I've never tried that before. I do all of my muting with my hands. I'll have too see what that sounds like.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ah thats why you use new socks :p

4. I've done it. When I tap on my bass (with both hands), it's hard to mute it all the time so sometimes I get both sides of the string vibrating, which sounds like sh**. I tried using my sister's scrunchies but they're too big, so I had no choice but to use a sock. Works just fine.

5. I actually have a guitar that has a headstock similar to a Firebird. There are no string trees or anything behind the nut- and the strings resonate behind the nut- it can be annoying. I've tied a few different things behind the nut to quell the vibration. I've cut some mousepad foam and just laid it behind the nut- you could do something similar in front of the nut. It makes it a little more difficult to remove.

You could also try a velcro strap.

6. When playing covers of Stray Cats, or any other time I needed to replicate a double bass sound I stuck a bandana underneath the strings by the bridge. I can cram more in there, or less, depending on the sound I want. Sounds pretty close to a DB.. No tapping though.