1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Software based preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masher88, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have much experience with computer based amp modelers and pre's such as Amplitube (ampeg VSX modeler)...etc...? I have been doing a lot of demo recording into my computer and was looking into getting new/quality sounds.

Wasn't sure what category to put this into seeing as it's part preamp, part recording, part computer question!

2. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    A close friend of mine has the Ampeg software and LOVES it. He's always talking about how great it is. I played through it at his place for about ten minutes one day (he lives 500 miles from me now) and was really impressed with it.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Guitar Rig 2, and 3.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    They really are just another form of preamp. All in all, "digital" hardware modelers are just software. For hardware or software you'll get the best benefit by using good clean amplifiers and full-range cabinets. Like Carvin LS1503.

Ampeg SVX is very good, but it's just Ampeg gear, except the mics. As it is "ear-tuned by Ampeg’s legendary engineers" it is very accurate for Ampeg gear.

The one to keep an eye on is Peavey Revalver MKIII . Not released yet, but previous versions (MK II) are available from Alienconnections.com for evaluation. The Peavey version will be a next generation. Although it will come with many Peavey amps and cabs it is totally customizable to create any amp, cab combo you'd want.

For a free plugin, you can't be Voxengo Boogex. I've got it to load IR's from:
    http://noisevault.com/nv/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29&func=selectcat&cat=18
    It does not have the performance of the above commercial packages, but it's great for re-amping.

"Guitar Rig" and many others are also very good. All the commercial software has eval versions, so give them a try.

And venture out into plugins not designed just for Bass or Guitar. Don't just go for the "Familiar" - come up with some new sounds!

5. +1 on the SVX.

I prefer it over the bass sounds in Guitar rig 2 and 3 (which are the same in each version) and Amplitube.

Like seamonkey says tho, have fun, mess around a little.

What i do is record clean, either directly to interface of via a presonus eureka. Once ive got the basic clean recording, you can copy it out into several tracks, keep a clean base-line, send one through a guitar amp setup, another through a bass amp setup, play about with the panning etc. And thats just scratching the surface of what you can do :)