1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

software drum loop machine to jam with?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jcphockey16, Oct 15, 2009.

1. i want a drum machine on my computer to jam along with but i can't find a software one that is just loops; i've found a lot of ones that are for creating drum beats, but i want one that has beats already there to jam along with. anyone know of a good program or anything?

2. scsm

scsm

Jul 26, 2009
    Manhattan, KS
    "Band in a Box" is a good one.

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    iZotope iDrum is a nice drum program with a significant number of beats/styles included. Sounds are good and the price is very fair ($59). Will run on MS or Mac (not sure if there is a Linux version). The package will run standalone, or as a VST/ plugin for most DAW programs. You can download a full trial copy for 10 days for free.

You could also look into a small dedicated drum machine box like a Boss DR-3 for not too much $$.

FWIW, Band In A Box is good too, but pretty expensive, and it offers all kinds of other instrumentation and features. So if all you really want is a drum machine, BIAB is perhaps overkill.

good luck

4. Zoom B2 has a drum-machine built in, no fancy loops but gets the job done. Has headphone output. In addition you get tons of effects, amp simulations, a tuner as well... I've seen used ones close to $50 or just above.

5. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1 - nothing is easier.

And Jamstix - steep learning curve, but
    when you get louder or quieter, or more busy, or laid back, Jamstix will actually follow with what you're doing. It's almost like a real drummer except it actually listens to you.

7. Yeah, band in a box is great, not only loads of drum feels but any changes you could want as well, really cool program.

I remember a client of mine had steinberg groove agent once and that seems to do what you are after, bit of an expense, though and I'm sure it doesn't have as many feels as BIAB.

how about just getting a load of drum loops, though? there are sample packs available for any kind of loop you could want, some played by the best drummers around at the moment! all you need then is a way to loop them, media players like winamp will do it but may be a little clumsy. A free piece of audio software like audacity will allow you to loop a section, just download a cool loop from one of the hundreds of sites out there, put it in a recording software and loop it up, job done!

8. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Hydrogen is a cool drum machine program. I'm not sure if is available for windows, but you can get it for Linux, and its free.

9. funkout5

funkout5

May 19, 2009
    Suburbia, USA
    there are a few good loop websites that are free..

beathive.com is the only one i can think of right now

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    beat hive costs money!

11. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    +1 with Jamstyx. And you can sync it with BFD or Superior drummer. And you can also use it in conjunction with Drumagog.

12. pdubya

pdubya

Nov 11, 2008
    Australia
    acid pro

13. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    Idrum is great!

14. BuiltToSpill17

BuiltToSpill17 Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd recommend Riffworks T4, it's free, it's simple as can be and if you want more beats, you can shop for them online. The variables for "Intensity," "Variation," and "Gain" are very straightforward and tweakable.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/T4/

You can buy the full version too for $125, but the free version is what I'm using and I've been very happy with it. If you have a mac, you can get Garage Band as well (which I also use) and have been happy with the default beats and idiot-proof/never-read-the-manual interface.