Software drum machines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Does anybody know of any good software (PC) drum machines?

I don't want something that's as complicated as a typical hardware machine (and that sounds as bad).

This thing:

is very good - contains samples of human drummers and is very easy to use. The only problem is that it only has one tempo! Which is completely stupid. I actually bought it and found that out and they refunded my purchase. If I could find something that simple and that sounds that good but where you could vary the tempo, I'd be pretty happy.

I had a hardware drum machine (DR-606) and sold it a while ago. Too complicated and sounded like crap.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Double posting - it's just not cool.
  4. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    What is the protocol then? I had a topic that applied to both DB and BG. As far as I know there is no one single forum for both.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Since most Toybassers surf the forum by checking "New Posts", a thread title which shows the topic as being of interest to both sides is usually enough. In the few instances I've wanted to post in both forums, I've always posted here in DB and then asked permission from one of the BG mods whose forum I wanted to post in.

Back on topic, I bet the reason that the program you tried has fixed tempos is that it uses soundbites of real people playing rather than samples of each individual drum/cymbal. It may be too late, but you could use transcription software like Transcribe! to change the tempos of any soundfile, as long as you realize that the further you get from the original tempo, the weirder the sound gets.
  6. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    OK, well I didn't what the protocol was. I've deleted the post in the toybass side.

The reason you gave for QuickBeat having no tempo is exactly correct. What he should have done is sample each individual drum.

I did yesterday find a Steinberg VSTi plug-in called Groove Agent that is very cool:

Check out the MP3 samples

What's nice is that you just pick the style and the complexity - none of this programming business and there's a nice "humanize" dial. And it sounds great.