Software EQs: Do they sound different?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Apr 12, 2004.

1. thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    At first this is a really stupid question, because of course quality and sound differ from manufacturer to manufacturer... but since we're talking about digital, meaning 1's and 0's, I thought I'd go ahead and stick my neck out to the far reaches of the public chopping block.

My "bundled" version of Cubasis appears to be brighter and more lively sounding than the eq on Cool Edit Pro 2.0. Is it true, or am I just making this up 'cause I want Cubasis as my recording software? Would I benefit in this regard from picking up Cubase SE (upgradeable), and relegating Cool Edit solely to more of an editing role? (It does a nice job of that, I'll add...) Or even Cakewalk Sonar, which is designed to work in conjunction w/ Cool Edit?

Thanks for your time and knowledge,

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Are you sure your recording and playback levels are exactly matched between the two apps? Even the slightest difference will make a good judgement impossible. It might not be the EQ that you're hearing. You could try using the spectrum analysis tools in CEP to see what's up though.

Edit: Sorry, I now see from your other thread in this forum that you are actually talking about EQ'ing a cassette recording, not necessarily about native recording quality. Which EQ are you using in CEP? Tried any third party plugins? In any case, your question is hardly stupid. There are plenty of different digital EQ algorithms, and whatever sounds good to you is good. I like the EQ options in Wavelab quite a bit; if Cubasis uses the same ones, I tend to agree with you.