1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

software instruments ? (guitar mostly)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pfschim, Jan 22, 2012.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hey, I am in need of some guidance please.

I have some limited experience with software tools. I currently use Ableton Live as a DAW with GuitarRig and Amplitube and iDrums vst plugins and an NI interface. I know I have not really dug super deep into Live, but I can do much of what I started out wanting to do.

Now, what I'd like to do is lay out a song using a fake book/lead sheet format (chord changes and bars) and then have a decent sounding jazz guitar (or other samples) "play" the chart for me as a backing for rehearsing, solo building, even some writing etc.

What program or plug in will do this ? Will Ableton do this ? I was under the impression that Garage Band will do this, but I am on a Windows platform.

any help from the combined genius and experience of TB is welcome.

Thanks

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Pgmusic.com Band In a Box is ideal for this.
    The real tracks are very good for practice and getting solo ideas
    expensive though they have a free 30 day trial.

You can import the tracks into Ableton

3. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, I do have a pretty complete set of BIAB that I bought a few years ago that I have sort of forgot about. In all honesty, while I did install it and try to use it this way, I found the interface somewhat dense to use, and I also found the instruments to sound kind of so-so. Now, that being said, it's entirely possible that I did not spend enough time with BIAB to get it setup optimally .

OTOH, I happened to see a friend of mine lay out a simple loop based on a RealBook chart (Tenor Madness) in GarageBand and this re-kindled my interest in this kind of thing. He just laid in the chord changes, bar layout, tempo and applied a jazzy guitar sample to the chords and away it went, and it sounded pretty good for 10 min effort.

but, thanks for your reply seamonkey

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Try the RealTracks and not midi.
    Just type in the chords, pick a style, and "real" guitar players will be playing along.
    1 minute effort.

5. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I will go and try that again. But I am still interested in other options. Are there any others out there that someone might suggest ?