1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Software recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Anghoul, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Anghoul

Anghoul

Nov 20, 2018
    Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a program that can help me transcribe, I don't know if that even exists though. A problem I'm having while playing is writing down what I've played, I can write simple basslines down however it's very frustrating when I pump something pretty snazzy out during an improv session only for it to be gone immediately when I try writing it, even though I can usually play it again.

I find I can remember entire lines or the gist of a line/song if I play it once or write down a simple iteration; but I want to have the whole thing written because it's just... useful.

Other than that, I want a program I can edit and create a great end product with.

Thank you.

2. blip

blip

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    Can you record what you're playing? If so, you should download Transcribe! It's similar to a very simple DAW, but it's geared toward learning songs. I'll admit I've only ever used the most basic functions (time stretch, eq, markup, and looping), but it's got some more powerful tools to help you turn what you played into written music.

The website's a little dry, but give it a go. It's a great tool! Kinda like having a variable speed turntable and a magnifying glass.

Good luck!

Anghoul and lfmn16 like this.
  3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'll second this. I use it all the time, even when I'm not transcribing. It's inexpensive, works well and has all the features I need.

Anghoul and blip like this.