Software suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Apr 28, 2004.

1. First, I have zero insight/background in computer recording/editing etc. and as such I do not know the good search terms. So...

What are two or three smart choices of software that will allow me to handle the following:

I have a standalone 8 channel hard disk recorder. It has analog and adat ins/outs. Without losing any quality I need to get those 8 channels of recorded audio into my computer for basic mixing/editing. Then I would like to send that stereo mix back out to the recorder to be burned on a standalone burner.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    E Mu 1820M, has adat ins and outs, very high end A/D/A converters, $500.

Comes with cubase 5.1 VST, see for more info
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you're not running Win 2K/XP you could get protools free edition. Without buying any additional hardware you'd need to import 1 track at a time.

If you run Win 2K/XP then check out the software at . They have software starting at $0.00 (free) and going up from there. You could also search on acid express, which is also free.

Heck, do a google on audio editors, there are oodles of possibilities and plenty don't cost a thing.
  4. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    KoA - we meet again!

I've had good luck with the M-Audio hardware in recent years. I've also got an Alesis 12 track mixer that allows you to mix on the fly and dump to digital audio via USB. For whatever reason, I get better results from the M-Audio. Seemed to be major latency and driver issues with the Alesis stuff. Or maybe just my computer not being powerful enough.

For software, any multitrack program would work for you. If MIDI isn't a concern, I'd recommend Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro (v3). Comes with a bunch of other stuff bundled. Other Cakewalk multitrack products are very good.

Not sure how much of this stuff is made in the US, tho...:smug:

5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    For your purpose, it doesn't matter what software you use. There are several packages which will sling the bits nicely. What you're describing is a very basic procedure and there isn't anything that's going to be "better" or "worse" for your particular application. Look into N-Track, Sonar, Cubase, or Protools.

What you do need to consider is the hardware you're going to use. Getting an ADAT interface for your computer is essential if not losing any quality is a key goal. Then you can just run from your hard disk recorder to your computer digitally and you really won't lose anything. It will be a bit for bit copy. The same cannot be said if you involve analog in any fashion whatsoever, though doing it with analog won't necessarily sound bad or anything. It just won't be the same signal as what you started with.

Since you live in Nashville I would think you could rent something like this fairly cheaply. Otherwise, ebay is a good source for this kind of thing. If you have firewire capability on your computer, I suggest using firewire devices such as the MOTU 828 or Presonus Firepod. You can pick them up cheaply, use them for a bit, and then resell them without much loss overall. If you're handy with computers there are PCI devices out there such as the RME Hammerfall which are also nice.

You don't mention which hard disk recorder you're using, but the Alesis HD24 I use has the ability to just plug the disk into a special interface and import the audio directly over firewire. You might consider looking into that for whatever you're using.
  6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I've been using the Emu 1212M for over a year now to transfer 8 tracks at a time from ADAT and sometimes record into the two 1/4" analog inputs. It's part of a package that includes a PCI card and a daughter card and comes with all the software I need such as Cakewalk SONAR LE, Steinberg Cubase LE, Wavelab Lite and Ableton Live Lite 4. "Musician's Fiend" has them for 150 beans, but you can spend a few more dollars for the Emu 1818M and get a breakout box with mic pres and a few extras but you probably don't need it if all you want to do is transfer already recorded tracks via ADAT.

There are numerous other cards which will import ADAT to PC for about the same price that you could look into but the only one I've used personally is the Emu.