Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Software to convert .wma to .mp3 files?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Sep 9, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just picked up one of these gizmos at WalMart the other day: VR3 FM Modulator . It's pretty neat but it won't play any music I've copied from my audio CDs to my jump drive. These audio files are Media Audio files (.wma). Is there anyway to convert these files to .mp3 format so this device will play these files? Thanks!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You can choose which format to rip your CD's to in Windows Media Player. I choose 192 bit MP3.

-Mike

3. dBpowerAMP

This is a neat program, it will convert ANYTHING to ANYTHING, especially if you take the time to go through the codecs and download them. It will eventually ask you to pay for the mp3 encoding license but there are codecs available to get around it. Pretty sweet software.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +1 on that!!! dbP is my one stop audio transcoding station. As long as you have the rights to transcode the files (for the types that have DRM encoded into them) or have the files in non-protected formats like MP3, SHN, OOG, WAV etc.

If you go this route and want, I'm pretty sure I have the installer around for the older version of dbPowerAMP (V 9 IIRC) that came with MP3 codecs for free. PM me.

5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Okay,

I've gone to the Copy Music tab under the Options setting and it's giving me three choices for format: Windows Media Audio, Windows Media Audio (variable bit rate), and Windows Media Audio Lossless. Do I go with the variable bit rate setting?

6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Bump!

Haven't had any luck yet. Windows Media Player offers a plug-in to convert over but it's $10. Isn't there any free software that will recognize the .wma format and convert it over to .mp3? The software that was already recommended in this thread doesn't recognize the .wma format. Help!

7. +1

I exclusively use DBPA for all of my conversion needs.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What version of Media Player are you using? I am using version 10. When I open the options window, I click on the "Rip Music" tab and choose mp3, and then 192 Kbps.

-Mike

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First off, why are you using WMP to rip audio files from CD's? That is the worst! You need to use a dedicated audio ripper program that rips them to WAV files like Easy CD Ripper or Audiograbber. Then use Razorlame to convert the WAV files to MP3 because it's by far the best MP3 encoder. I wouldn't encode at anything less than 192K stereo (not joint stereo), and never use variable rate because it creates odd artifacts in the sound sometimes.

Razorlame is free. Most CD ripping programs are shareware, but they'll usually work for a month as a trial.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No it isn't. Plus, it takes less work than your method. I have ripped over 300 CD's on to my computer using WMP with zero problems.

-Mike

11. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  12. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Well, I ended up downloading Audiograbber (freeware!) and have used that to rip the audio tracks in .wav format. Then I use the dBpowerAMP software to convert the .wav format to .mp3. Seems to work pretty well; I might try getting the latest version of WMP to see if that works easier. Thanks for the replies!

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey bro, no problem. I'm happy to help out. Let us know how your ripping goes. :D

-Mike

14. Why 192bit MP3?

Sorry guys, I'm just learning about MP3s. I work on both MAC and PC so I think the standard MP3 format is what I'm going to use for easy flipping back and forth (no Windows Media or Apple Lossless files for me) and I just bought a 250 gig Firewire & USB 2 combo drive and I want to start ripping using the MAC and iTunes.

But what MP3 bit rate? Apple iTunes has:

"Good Quality" at 128kbps, joint stereo

"High Quality" at 160kbps, joint stereo

"Higher Quality" at 192kbps, normal stereo

... and then a bunch of custom settings that you can play with.

If I'm planning on DJ'ing with these songs through large sound systems,... will "Higher Quality" 192 kbps normal stereo be enough?

I want to use that for all my files from here but if I get enough people telling me that "Higher Quality" 192 kbps normal stereo is not enough,... well then I'll have to think some more. :)

What bit rate do you use and why? What kind of system do you play the music on?

Thanks everyone,

Benner

15. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well, I've got all of my albums ripped to MP3's on a spare computer with 1TB of storage (I have a LOT of albums!!! :D )and I use 256 normal stereo (NEVER use joint stereo, even on the lower bitrates). I use them for background music, and burn CDRs for my car stereo that plays MP3's (Way better than my old 6 disc changer!!!) I'll often downsample the MP3's for my car CDs to 192 and with the road noise and all they sound just fine to me (I've got an all Alpine car system running a modest 50w/ corner, no subwoffer or anything, just decent separates...) and I'd assume with DJ'ing and crowd noise and all that 192-256 would be just fine.