software to mix down on a pc?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by harley_ou812, May 9, 2004.

1. Hey everyone. I just got a fostex MR-8 and it is working great. But I am not keen on mixing down on it. I can dump all of the files onto my PC as wav files and mix down there. I am just wondering what would be good programs to look at for doing this. I want to be able to add effects to tracks and misx down to a good quality.
  2. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
  3. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    If your limit is 8 tracks mixing into one stereo track, then nothing beats good old Pro Tools Free version.

4. that would be wonderful except that pro tools free doesnt work on windows xp :meh: :crying:
  5. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Then your only choice to get pro quality mix is with pro software like Samplitude or Nuendo, which will run you at least $400 - $500 on used market. Anything else that you see as free programs or in the $100 price zone is not up to par handing fx, inserts, processing and other tasks at high level with low latency and good sound quality. but you will also require a good sound card to run any of the mentioned programs. I personally love Win 2000, and will not upgrade to the toy looking XP, but hey, I'm using the PC for internet only, Mac is where I keep my audio stuff. You could partition your main drive into two volumes an install both XP & win 2000 or 98 which ever works with Digi software.

6. I'm going to agree with Rubo above and suggest that it you can find the scratch to spring for Nuendo or Sonar, you won't outgrow it immediately and you'll have as many tracks as you like (RAM allowing) along with some decent plugs that can tweak your WAVS.

I would definitely spring for the new version though (I'm about to upgrade to Sonar 3) as it's not much more expensive as what the used market seems to be fetching.

Also, YMMV with regard to operating system. Rubo seems to have had issues with XP in the past, but having used it now for about a year and spare change I can't see myself going back to 2000. (You can always turn the graphic doodads off if you want, and it's probably better performance-wise if you do.)