Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

software

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by give4, Feb 24, 2003.

1. give4

give4

Jan 26, 2003
    el salvador
    hi
    im new in this thing of the tabs, i dont know softwares to write tabs so i would like to have some sugestions about bass tab editors software...
    thanks.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I just use a text editor - the important thing is to make sure you've got a mono-spaced font so everything lines up.

Mind you, I've only tabbed short phrases, as illustrations for sharing on the net - dedicated software might make it easier if you plan to do whole songs.

Wulf

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I would also say TablEdit. I have used it for maby 3 or 4 years now and tabbed hundreds of basstabs with it. It's simply the best. If you have any further questions concerning the prog just ask.

5. David Walden

David Walden

Nov 24, 2013
    I've just started using TablEdit v2.75b4c hoping just to get the notes down on paper rather than use pencil, eraser and blank sheets of paper with lines for the strings printed on them.
    It is impressive, but like so many other pieces of software, it takes a lot of watching tutorials, reading instructions and just plain trial and error to learn the program and that takes time. I thought I would start with something that sounded like it would be easy but before I got too far into the song I got stuck on trying to get the MIDI to play the right "feel" until I discovered "Swing Eighths" in the MIDI Options.
    Triplets are the worst. I spend a lot of time try to get them right, most of the time I resort to copying one from a prior bar and paste it into place, then change the notes to fit the new triplet. The steps for creating triplets in the "Help" file don't work for me.
    This is what I've gotten done on this "easy" bass line and I've been at it for a couple of days now. For those of you who have TablEdit, you can change the extension for the file titled "Eric Johnson Rock Me Baby.txt" from .txt to .tef. (the tef extension is not "allowed" here.)
    For those who do not own TablEdit, the file titled Eric Johnson Rock Me Baby Export.txt is the ASCI version, which doesn't show the triplet notation. The triplets are in bars 7, 11, 13 and 17.
    The mp3 is a segment from the beginning of the song up to the point where I am currently in generating the tab which I load into Amazing Slow Downer.
    Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

6. Steve Hernandez

Steve Hernandez

Sep 2, 2014
    I use Progression. You can get it from Presonus.
    I use it to create tabs like the one attached.

Attached Files:

7. Steve Hernandez

Steve Hernandez

Sep 2, 2014
    Very good program. I actually need to start using it. Songsterr supports gpro files.

Are you able to import MusicXML files with Guitar Pro?

8. According to my system, I just tried and yes MusicXML is an option.

9. Steve Hernandez

Steve Hernandez

Sep 2, 2014
    Tried exporting XML from progression and it wouldn't import into guitar pro 6. Will have to figure out the problem

10. I have never used that function so I can't be any help. Sorry.

11. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    just to offer a different idea - you might want to try the free version of Finale. Not only does it help you to learn to read / write music, the ability to add drum parts, etc. and the overall playback capabilities make it a great practice tool.

And really, especially if you are interested in walking bass, there is no instrument easier to learn to read - you can limit yourself to nothing but quarter notes and still never run out of great music. (beginners usually fear 'reading' the notes; but that's easy, there are only 12! Its reading rhythms that will screw up even the most advanced players. And you could spend three lifetimes working on walking basslines without ever having to worry about reading rhythms; quarter notes all the way!)

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I've used Notion from PreSonus and GuitarPro from Arobas Music.

I prefer Notion a little more for what I do. But either one is a good choice.

You can download a free trial copy of GuitarPro if you want to check it out first. (And I strongly suggest you do.) I don't think PreSonus offers trial copies. But in my case, I didn't care because I got mine through a special offer where it was discounted about 70%. And I wanted a copy anyway. YMMV.