1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solar power, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fmoore200, Dec 31, 2011.

1. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    So I'm thinking about installing solar panels on my house. Does anyone have experience with solar power, and if so, can you share the positives and negatives?

Do you really save a lot of money?

How long did it take to recoup your initial investment (I.e. in the saving of money - most places I have read say about 10 years)?

Would you do it again?

Does it power the entire house?

Any power failures?

Anything else you care to share will be welcome too :)

Happy new year!

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It depends on where you live. When we lived in Washington State, the return for us would have been 20+ years and it wasn't possible for us to be completely off the local electric company year round. But we would be able to sell some back during the summer.

We'll look into solar here if we decide to build a house in a couple years.

-Mike

4. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    It's more about where you live and your roof layout. My dad's house has a flat roof and is in AZ, recoup about 5-7 years. He also made the move because here the electric company has to pays for much of the panels and installation work; Make electric company put money where mouth is basically.

5. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Well the house is in Puerto Rico, so I don't think amount of sun will be an issue. They have kiosks in the malls where they sell solar panels, so I figured I'd ask if anybody has had experience...