1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solarplex Problem?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by huckleberry1, Jun 8, 2014.

1. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    Hey fellow TB types, I've noticed my chest just kills me when I take my bass off & return it to the stand. I'm 50 so maybe it's old age, thanks in advance...

2. I'm 79 and that is not a problem for me. Take this from a guy that has had by-pass surgery, at your age, anytime you have chest pains talk to a doctor about it.

If he gives you a clean bill of health I'd look to my strap and how you are holding the beast. Google can find videos on this.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Orangeclawhammr and huckleberry1 like this.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If you only have this when playing then most likely that's back and shoulder related pains (the spine, rib cage etc are all connected) from the weight of the bass and maybe tension from a less than ideal posture while playing. Working out and stretching may help, changing your strap and how you stand may help. Anyway, I'd talk to a doctor just to check it's not something else, and maybe consult a chiropractor or similar to get some exercises and treatment if necesary.

huckleberry1 likes this.
  4. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!:D

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Some arm/ shoulder loosening exercises along with chest-expanding stretches (gradually work into something if you're not used to it) and attention to keeping your back straight and chest open/expanded some (not compressing forward) can help. Think chest expansion along with a deep breath. That straight back alignment along with open chest will allow better breathing, more energy to express yourself, and you'll tire more slowly. I'm 60 BTW.
    Finding a good Tai Chi (Chuan) instructor can do wonders.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If you're not in shape i.e. extra flab around the belly and no muscle tone you're going to have issues especially as you get older.

7. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Based on the limited amount of info provided - my preliminary diagnosis would be costochondritis