1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*SOLD* 1937 Kay Concert model Bass for sale- first year serial #359

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by bassdogEmer, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    RARE KAY upright bass from 1937. This is a concert model (C) KAY string bass. The serial number (#359) indicates that is defnitely made in the first year of KAY production - first lot. The Body is in excellent condition. No serious damage to the bass whatsoever. The Bass bar is solid and the neck original and not cracked. the original rosewood fingerboard was replaced with a top grade Ebony fingerboard and the end pin replaced with a brass Goetz end pin. The bass has as small patch less then half an inch wide on the lower left hand side bout. It was repaired by Bill Merchant in NYC and re-varnished. The neck is a carved german scroll. The bass plays wonderfully well and was used by Greg Cohen on three seperate Tom Waits records including Swordfish trombones and Frank's wild years. The tone is HUGE. This bass has a very woody low end sound and is very punchy . The bass records very well. The entire instrument is tip top health and Bill Merchant has verified this. He also verfied that this is one of the oldest Kays around -again the serial number is #359 and the first lot of production went from 001 -500. The Varnish is dark cherry/brown. The String length is 41 1/4' inches long. I am asking $4200
    I have pics and will email them on request - serious inquiries only please. I have attached 2 pics but have more - just pm me.

2. jb6884

jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Ohhh... I have a '39 .. they are SWEET... you NEED to buy this!! :hyper:

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I know I need to, but I don't have the money :bawl:

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Still for sale, Andrew?

Best regards,
    François

5. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer