1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

*SOLD* 1949 Kay C1 - Delivered!

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by flyingmarcel, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good Evening All,

For sale is my 1949 Kay C1 - Serial Number 20614. I have had this bass for about three years and am the second (possibly third) owner since the bass was purchased in 1949. The bass has served me well, but I'm now looking to upgrade to a hybrid instrument and due to space (and monetary) constraints, the Kay has to go first.

Since purchasing the bass, I've upgraded the endpin + tail cable to replace the stiff original wire, had the fingerboard dressed, new sound post installed, and new bridge with adjusters put on. Bass also has "Fan Belt" bumpers on the treble site to protect the bass when lying down. The bass plays very well, and is gigged usually a couple times a week - What I'm saying is its ready to go in its current set up and condition. Strung with Weichs on the E and A, Belcantos on the D and G - Very nice combination on this bass.

In terms of structural issues, the bass has never had any neck problems and is in good shape for a bass that is nearing 7 decades old (few dings here and there). A few chips on the back bass side (top layer of laminate) that I'm sure a skilled wood worker could fix up quite nicely - Not me! Also one small crack (about 1 inch long) on the front near the neck that likely occured while gluing a loose seam (this is what my luthier thought). Crack has been glued (told no longer an issue) and has not changed over the time I've had the bass. In terms of cosmetics, the bass looks about like you'd expect an old Kay to look - One thing of note is that the Rosewood board had been died to a dark black and is beginning to show signs of the original brown under the D and G strings - Not an issue in terms of playability obviously..

As for cost, I paid $1800 Canadian for the bass 3 years ago and given the upgrades, I would like to get $2000 CANADIAN, but would entertain offers in this price range. Also, since I am looking to upgrade to a hybrid instrument, on the off chance that someone has one they don't need/use and is looking for a Kay, perhaps we could work out some sort of trade terms - Hey, you never know!

OK, as for delivery/shipping: I'd be happy to deliver the bass within 8-10 hours of Toronto, Ontario (My wife and I like Road Trips!) for 1/2 the cost of fuel (Don't worry, I drive a VW Golf, Not a Hummer H2 or anything like that!). If it ends up that we can work a trade, we can factor this cost into the deal...In the event that you live further than this, we can work out shipping terms if necessary (purchaser cost most likely)

So, I think that's it - I'll include a few pictures, but let me know if you want to see anything specific or if you have further questions

Thanks,

fm

Attached Files:

2. A couple more...

Attached Files:

3. Last Two - One showing bumpers, the other showing chips on the back of the bass.

Attached Files:

4. I forgot to mention, I'll also throw in a Ritter Double Bass bag with the bass - I think its the standard model. A little beaten up, but still very usable

fm

5. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    Where in Ontario do you live?

6. Hamilton - So, well within the delivery stipulations!

7. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    I definately don't have the money now, but if this is still for sale when I do, I'd be willing to buy it, and I could pick it up too.

8. SOLD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.