Sold a bass. Bought a bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Needed a 5-string quickly for an upcoming gig and didn't want to spend any money. I posted a 1981 Fender Mustang (that I never ever use) for $300 on craigslist. Damn! People jumped all over it. Gone in practically 5 minutes. I know I could have gotten more, but the bass was altered so any vintage value is out the window - and I wanted to do it quickly. I won't regret it. Right?

So I decided on this for the 5 string

Plus now I'll have a great new gigbag, and $80 extra bucks in my pocket. My hopes are the bass feels great. Sounding great would be even greaterer, but I'm not expecting the world here. If I like it I'll invest in PU upgrades. If I hate it they say I can return it and just pay shipping.

OK. Now tell me nice things about my new bass.
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    what bass did you get?
  3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Hey. I just re-posted the link. When I initially posted it, I cut and pasted the ebay page while I was still logged onto ebay. The link asked if I'd like to buy another item. Does that mean that if someone else clicked the link they could buy something on my acct.?

there was no link for the 1st few people that read the thread becasue I immediately deleted and reposted it after logging off.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no, that wouldn't work. It depends on cookies in your computer (I always wondered why they picked that name...). Cool bass, though. But it's still not a BONGO!!
  5. nice bass, I hope you'll enjoy it, cort makes some fine basses (although I haven't played this model).
  6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    ahh yes, but i did not have to detract from my bongo fund to buy it. and i really need a 5-string in my bass arsenal. this ain't the 1st time i've had to use one. in the past i've gone the B-E-A-D route but me no like doing that to my basses. It's amazing how useless a G-string can be - when it's on a bass at least.
  7. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Bongo = musical toilet seat.

Well, I guess the low end would be good for regularity. :bag:
  8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    There's still 1 bass available which is why when you went to the page it asked if you'd like to buy the bass.
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    And just imagine if you ate some beans to inspire your solos! :D

What is it? The link doesn't work for me.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Nice thing about your bass: It has NIB in the description. That means it rawks, right?
  11. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    cool looking bass.

man i would of probably liked that fender mustang you sold.
  12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    It looks pretty cool. Is Cort really the largest manufactuer of guitars in the world???????
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cool bass. I'da scored a Cort Curbow, but if their other basses are half as nice, things'll work out nicely.
  14. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Mister Nerve:

If you're ever in the Dallas area, you're more than welcome to come over and fondle the three musical toilet seats I have, and with a fourth on order.

Musical toilet seats. Dang, that was funny.

I laughed until I stopped.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wonder how Cort compares to SX/Brice? Since its kinda in the price range.
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    On another thread someone pointed out that Cort's factory in Korea makes a lot of basses for a lot of different companies that import into the US. Lakland Skyline, for example, might be one brand made in the Cort Korea factory.

Joe Nerve.....Nice deal, my man. If you are really a Bongo-phile, if/when you get a 5er you'll really be impressed. A few months a go I put aside my....ummm.....pure hatred for the design of the Bongo and played a 5 string. Slice O' Heaven it was I must say. You'll be putting that Cort up for sale the day after you get a Bongo 5.

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The Bongo's going to be a 4 string. 5 string ain't my thing, I had one a few years back and sold it. since then several job opportunities have popped up where I'd need one. I'll play a 5 string if I have to but i'm one of those guys who would buy a 3 string if they made em. I wonder why they don't? I bet the first company that put them out would sell a doodyload.

As fer the Cort vs. SX/Brice I shall give my opinions when the bass arrives. I've played Curbows and other Cort basses and liked them a lot. Don't think I ever played one as cheap as this though. I had an SX fretless Jazz that I gave away to someone. I thought it was great, better than the cheap Fenders. I was going to get a fretted 5, but thought I'd do an Ebay 5 string search first. I loved that this Cort had a MM-like tailpiece, and the MM/Jazz pups. My hopes are that the construction is really good. If so I'm gonna paint it with enamel (got that idea from the guy who lent me a standup that he painted like that. paints most of his basses like that actually) - and add decent pickups. It could turn out to be a real nice one of a kind nobody'll know what the hell it is type bass.
  18. I really would like to know how this bass sounds.. Or hear if possible.. It looks cool.
  19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Check one out. It sounds killer.

Everything else is secondary.

I've never played one of those Corts, but it looks pretty solid. I got a chinese Fernandes Retrospect and it's very workable and nice sounding. I'm sure your new bass is great too.

I'd leave the bass as is. No point sinking cash on upgrades for this guy.

Let us know how the B string sounds when you get it.