Sold and shipped a cab, and now problems. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I sold a 210 and shipped it via UPS from WA to OK. The cab is a 600w 4 ohm cab that I never pushed beyond volume level 2 on my 500w amp. I never pushed it hard at all. It sounded perfectly normal before I shipped it.

The buyer says it sounds crackly and distorted. I asked if the box was damaged and he said one corner looks pushed in but the cab didn't look damaged?

What could be causing this issue? He's playing through a 450w head into the cab.

gl1234 likes this.
  2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The buyer said he's going to remove one speaker to look for loose connections.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  3. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Rough handling during shipment can do that. I received a brand new 112 from the factory that distorted right out of the box although there was no external sign of damage--probably the box dropped from a significant height and jarred the voice coil out of alignment. Good luck, Bob

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    How does one realign a voice coil?

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    is there any suspicion the buyer is pulling a fast one?

Callan, brbadg, ColdEye and 2 others like this.
  6. Cabs are a part of a system. The cab is not intended to protect the speakers, though it can in a lot of cases. I don't think most cab builders plan on having their gear abused to the point that is described here and not expect problems.
    It's hindsight, I know, but asking the buyer if he is interested in paying extra for insurance to cover damage might not be a bad idea. Especially for something as heavy as a speaker cab. And where the cardboard it was shipped in is only good for affixing the insurance sticker. If he says no, then tough toenails. He'll think twice the next time.

andruca likes this.
  7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I don't know. Maybe. I sold it through Reverb and I've read that they seem wishy washy in situations like this. I don't have any way of proving that it was working before I shipped it.

8. And he has no way of proving that you sent it in damaged condition.
    (I assume the damage described was not there when you shipped.)
    He needs to take this up with the carrier.
    Also hindsight... next time take plenty of photos and send copies with it when it ships.

Did you say in the add that you'd accept returns?
    If so who pays for the return shipping?

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Pictures of the box, right? Apparently UPS "insurance" isn't really.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    He said, "One end of the box looked slightly smashed, but the cab appears to be solid and not damaged."

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Right, the box was in great shape when I shipped. Reverb has "buyers protection" like Paypal does and will "work hard to secure a refund".

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    +1.

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Nope, no returns, but again - Reverb buyer protection.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I shipped a Glockenklang Quattro (410) to a TBer in Nashville and when it got there, two speakers were damaged - it had been dropped so hard that the magnets had deformed the baskets. There was minimal damage to the box - apparently it had landed flat on the side of the box at the back of the cab, and gravity did the rest. I had the buyer ship it back to me at my expense.

I submitted a claim to Fedex and after an investigation, they came and picked up the cab and sent me a check for the full amount of the insurance plus shipping. That process is supposed to take a week but it took about a month. In the end Fedex done right by me.

TMARK, bassplace, Clark Dark and 8 others like this.
  15. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    A good policy would be to photograph the insides of cabs before shipping and video record you playing through it with some proof of the date in the video. Extra effort, but it'd remove all doubt.

What about the loss to bass gear hounds in North America losing access to such a rare and awesome cab; Class Action perhaps?

gumtown, SirMjac28 and Munjibunga like this.
  16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    He didn't sell it here on TB, I would guess.

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The buyer doesn't file a claim with the shipper, the seller does that.

TMARK, pcake, wcriley and 2 others like this.
  18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You must not sell and ship much. The contract with the carrier is with the SELLER, and he must initiate the claim....assuming he bought insurance. Even if he said "no returns" the buyer can still rely on him to deliver an undamaged cab.

The only doubt removed would be if the cabinet worked before shipment. The liability is still on the seller to have it delivered to the buyer in that condition. It might help with the shipper claim, although it rarely requires that level of evidence.

This.

TMARK, GroovinOnFunk, BrBss and 2 others like this.
  19. I have found that when it comes to selling amps and cabs, local pickup is the only sure way to go. I have personally delivered amps to buyers, set it up and had him play it before he paid me. Works every time with no hassles. I never use UPS, they delight in destroying packages with impunity. Most likely, UPS knocked the package over on the terminal floor or dropped it. Very typical for them. Unfortunately that doesn't help you now. You should file a claim with them. You may have to take a hit on this one and learn from the experience. Good luck. :meh:

kbakerde and Mugre like this.
  20. OK gang, good information to know. Thanks for setting me straight.
    Now that fourstringbliss and I have both been enlightened, do we know that the seller has or will file a claim?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021