Sold both of my Ampeg 810E's today.. need some advice on new setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heady, Oct 11, 2021 at 3:51 PM.

1. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Hey TB,
    Like the title says, I sold both my 2020 Ampeg 810E's today.. #sadface. The only musical project I had lined up to use them, unfortunately had a guitarist pass away so they just sat in a spare bedroom and we're occasionally fired up when I wanted to set off seismic alerts two towns over.

So, here I am, pondering what to get next. Don't get me wrong - I didn't sell these because I had to, or wanted to. They're big, heavy, and difficult to lug around - but y'all already know that. I LOVED those cabs. However, a smaller option is needed. I'm a bit of an Ampeg fanboy, so the two options I'm considering are the PN-410HLF, and Heritage 410HLF.

As for background and needs: I play prog/metal/rock mostly and use a SVT-5 PRO and 6 string basses. The SVT-5 PRO is rated for 1350 watts (1000 continuous) at 4ohms, and I can't remember the 8ohm wattage. Anyone A/B these cabs? Is the PN worth the premium price? Any thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance!

Peter Torning and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    now’s your chance to go in the absolute opposite direction,

an in-ear setup with no cabs at all:D

Hummergeist, Tendril, AdamR and 10 others like this.
  3. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    The 410HE will sound like your 810e. But is only rated to 500watts. I'm looking at the PN's too but have read the HE's/HLF's sound better ???

4. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not interested in the HE to be honest. Only the PN-HLF and the Heritage HLF.

tshapiro likes this.
  5. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    True, but those don't look nearly as cool, lol. I definitely need a cab, for rehearsal with a REALLY loud drummer

6. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    GregC, chris_b, bassface69 and 12 others like this.
  7. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    I was literally looking at the six 10 on their site when you posted this, lol. They claim to be insanely loud!

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you want something that sounds similar to the 810 I don’t believe you’ll find that in the HLF cabs. They have a lot more low end and a lot less mids.

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I was in a similar situation - sold my Ampeg 810 cabs, and went looking for something to replace them that were much smaller, lighter, and sounded as good.

There is no replacement for displacement, but I ended up with a pair of Orange OBC112 cabs. They sound great, weigh like 25 pounds each, and easily fill a medium sized venue without breaking a sweat. Very pleased with them.

rise.jpg

10. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    The PN definitely has that Neo sound. I'm not a fan. The HLF sounds nice and old-school. I love it.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  11. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've got the Barefaced Six10 and yes, it's capable of handling about twice the power that the Ampeg 810E could - plus it's small enough for me to easily pick up and put into the backseat of my Mazda 3.

The sound profile is very vintage, and very similar to the Ampeg.

12. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I went from an Acoustic 370/408 (4x15) to an Eden WT400/410 XLT (and 610 at times as well). I was very happy.

Twenty years later and I am trying to go even lighter. I'm retired and really don't have the funds or patience to go thru everything available trying to fit the bill. So I went with the Fender Rumble V3 stuff. It doesn't compare unfortunately. However I am happy with the WT 400 powering a Rumble 210 and Rumble 115 cabinets. I call the set up a mini stack. The WT 400 is 14lbs while the cabs are ~ 40lbs each. I use the Rumble 500 combo for practice.

EatS1stBassist and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Its going to be a big drop on displacement, which will be rough. You may want to try a Mesa Subway 1x15, or even a pair if you need that much. Way tighter and easier to move than either HLF, which tend to get real boomy at volume. The hlfs sound great bedroom wise, but the lows easily get out of hand at higher volumes, imho. Your money, though.

14. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    There's two people here in the classifieds selling Berg NV610s. Go get one.

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Berg NV610's definitely sound similar to the Ampeg 810e. About the closest you can get without "Ampeg" listed on the cab. Lighter weight too.

16. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I have no dog in this fight as I play mostly a Rumble 500C. However, the Bareface 6x10 looks pretty interesting for the type of music you play. Barefaced Bass - Six 10

TN WOODMAN, Zbysek and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. RodneyM

RodneyM

Dec 9, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Only one thing you can do.
    Realize the error of your ways and buy back your two 810E's.

18. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    So you're looking to go smaller and lighter. It seems like anything north of a 4x10 is out of the question.

He's what I'd look at
    First and foremost: Greenbody fEarless F112 - simply put this thing is a monster. Played an auditorium with mine on Saturday and people were absolutely blown away by the clarity of the sound. Anywhere you play that needs more volume than this can produce, will have you going through FOH anyways. Easily shakes any room with a Low-B
    fEARless is where I got mine built.

Also: Mesa Subway 2x12 - you will be absolutely shocked by the sound/weight ratio of this beast. Mesa Boogie Subway Ultra-Lite 2x12 Vertical Bass Cabinet | MESA/Boogie®
    Not as complete as the F112 IMHO, but still amazing and a little more durable if you take em on the road.

If you want an array, well safe to say Phil Jones is the master of that realm right now
    Products – Cabinets | Phil Jones Bass
    Take a hard look at the C8 with its 8x5" configuration.

Genzler Magellan 350 - where engineering eclipses common sense... kinda like a Porsche 911, this shouldn't work... but works really well. Science Bitch
    https://www.genzleramplification.com/shop/magellan-350-combo/

jdwinva, Heady, bassface69 and 4 others like this.
  19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the HLFs are heavy, boomy rumble-monsters, nothing like the "fast fatness" of a sealed 8x10

look at the ampeg 2x12 cabs, they get a lot of love from SVT guys

GregC, bassface69, TN WOODMAN and 5 others like this.
  20. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I love my darkglass 2x12. My 8x10 used to be the favorite till i got the darkglass...

EatS1stBassist and TN WOODMAN like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021