Sold both of my Ampeg 810E's today.. need some advice on new setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heady, Oct 11, 2021 at 3:51 PM.

1. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    A pair of 1x12+6" cabinets a la Fearful.

IMG_8132.jpg

This is a boutique brand here in Mexico that's kinda in the vein of the fearful and greenboy designs and it cand go as loud as 4x10's so a pair of cabs like those will be easier to haul while remaining mighty.

StevieMac and Heady like this.
  2. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Interesting - this is the first Ive heard of that brand.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I went down this road a few years back and after wasting a bunch of cash on Ampeg and other 4x10s I ended up with a Barefaced 6x10 and never looked back. I really never liked the Ampeg HLF line. I found it very muddy.

it does help that I can lift the Barefaced with one hand

chris_b likes this.
  4. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I know there has been a lot of chatter about bareface. Here it is from the horses mouth.

BlueTalon likes this.
  5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I'd really like to try one of these cabs.

6. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Same here. I watched the above video - this dude really know his [email protected]!$. I'm really impressed with their approach to fixing problems.

baxter_x likes this.
  7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Just in case you would want another 810, the Fender neo is an awesome cab. Lightweight and massive tone. But it's not a closed cab. Just in case.

8. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I have my Heritage 410HLF paired with a SVT212 AV cab. It's a "best of everything" rig. The 410 is clear and has nice phat low frequency response and the 212 is more of a midrange cab but VERY detailed (not to mention it only weighs 50ish lbs). Originally I was going to get two 212 cabs but they just don't have enough lows.

9. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Struggling to decide here, I'm probably overthinking it. TBH, if I ever did go back to a 8x10, it'd likely be the Heritage 810. Part of me is saying to man the eff up and just get the Heritage... but I'm not in a rush. This threads purpose was just to get some ideas.

baxter_x likes this.
  10. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    I used to own two Four10's.... powered it with a D800 and ran a Darkglass B3K pedal... sounded wicked and was insanely loud. Loud arse guitarists asked me to turn down... It did have a more old school tone that cut through a metal band mix well.... it had a really sweet sounding character.... that was with a Warwick Pnut bass in the signal chain.

IMO, the ampeg cabs are mud boxes compared to the new offerings from Fearless, Barefaced, Mesa, Genzler, Bergantino etc...

I currently run 2 of Berg's HDN212's with a Forte HP and a handful of OD pedals and the rig destroys the ampeg fridge I use at rehearsals. The fridge is boomy and muddy.... the Berg stuff is clean and powerful.....

yes all of these cabs can get loud as f!!! you have to decide what will replace your 810's from what YOUR EARS tell you!!!

All of the above mentioned cabinets are around 50 lbs for the 2x configurations... I prefer the 212 as it's easier to move through doors and easier to carry than the awkward Four10.

Good luck in your search... you just opened Pandora's box.... lol

BlueTalon, Dave W and Heady like this.
  11. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL

You make a lot of good points here - since I only have a real world experience with Ampeg, and some old EV stuff from years ago, I haven't had a ton of experience with other brands. Watching some videos of stuff online makes me wonder if the Ampeg stuff really is a slush box compared to the more modern stuff. Only problem with my situation - I was hoping to acquire something through Sweetwater since I already have a line of credit with them. They don't carry any of the big boutique cabs, other than Boom Bass Cabinets which seems decent. As usual, I'm plagued with decision paralysis.

12. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I have to agree on the fact the Ampeg 810 is far from the best can you can find. There are actually way better solutions nowadays.

13. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Would you say it outperforms the 810 in both volume and ability to be loud AND low? It's crazy to think that a cabinet with 24" of speaker surface can beat a cabinet with 80" of speaker surface. Times sure have changed...

14. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
  15. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Like LowEnd65 says the Fearless F112 (I have two stacked) will make you think you have an 810 behind you.

16. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    My condolences.

A HLF won't sound nearly the same as a sealed SVT.

GregC likes this.
  17. From what I've heard here, the SVT212AV tone is close to the 810e

18. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    I have a Trickfish Bullhead 1K and 2 TF408's

The 2 cabs ake the load 4 ohms so I get a lot out of the a,mp and each cabe is only something like 56 lbs and easy to move.

I'm 65 so I know what trying to get a little more efficiency with out weight is but I just can't wrap myself around NEO's. These are ceramic magnets and I've never had an issue.

Back in the day (70's) I had an SVT with 2 cabinets and then moved into the Acoustic 370/301 realm but I could also move them with ease back then too being a whole lot younger.

The Trickfish isn't going to replace the SVT cabs in my opinion but they do offer a ton of punch, bottom and clarity as a pair so it's really a superb alternative

19. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Trust me.... I spent a lot of cash and recouped a good amount of it going the route of try this and that...... over the past 4 years my dilemma looked something like this....

GK1001 Rb and 2 GK Neo 212's. I liked the amp.... the cabs were just okay... very one dimensional.... actually one of Mike arnopols Bodai 112's blew the 412's away in sheer low end at a distance due to the technology of the bodai

swapped the GK amp for a mesa D800, I used that amp for over 3 years and was really happy with it....

Sold the GK cabs, then sold the Bodai and grabbed one Barefaced four10.... it didn't satisfy the need to play with two loud guitarists ripping on 100-120W high gain amps... so I bought a 2nd Four10..... and that rig slammed!!!! but... my quest for tone needed a change....

Tried the following back to back....
    GK Legacy 1200, Darkglass AOU amp, Mesa D800+ and WD800 as well as the forte HP...

I also bought other cabinets to A/B with the Barefaced.... a Revsound 215T..... The revsound was a great cab... but I needed more cause of the loud guitarists (yes... they were ridiculously loud) so I picked up a Revsound RS210.... the 215/210 rig was pretty killler but not a good pairing... the bright content out of the 210 made me have to EQ in a way that the 215 wasn't shining....

I'll tell you.... the forte HP is a big boy amp.... it slams..... Got rid of all the other amps.

Then I decided to go all Bergantino... it was right when the NXT line was created.... but I said to myself, my end goal is a vertical 412 for headroom and sheer bad assery!!!!

Bought 2 used HDN212's, one at a time and man am I set on power and cabinets!!!! It's what has worked for me and I have zero want to get any other amp or cabinet.... But that is my story.... Yours can/will be totally different.

I did own an svt3pro and 410 hlf years ago.... I really liked the sound of it but it couldn't handle high volume and it farted out easily....

Maybe that Berg ref 210/112 mentioned above could be a starting point for you?? I'm sure you'll get a ton of volume out of it with your 6pro!!!! If it doesn't work out for you, you can sell them for about the same as the purchase price...

deff likes this.
  20. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Whatever you get make sure you try it first with that ‘really loud drummer’.

My GK with two powered 12” cabs is nothing compared to my Mesa 410 & 800 watt old school amp (which is a light weight compared to your two 810’s).

I don’t get how folks think the small stuff could actually replace two 810’s. Or even one 810. There’s got to be a huge dif in volume you will have to live with.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 2:45 PM
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021