Sold both of my Ampeg 810E's today.. need some advice on new setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heady, Oct 11, 2021 at 3:51 PM.

1. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    OK, I have no good advice for you but that was funny

Regards
    Mark

Heady likes this.
  2. Les-Claypool-Spotlight.jpg

:)

Coot, Murch, StevieMac and 3 others like this.

3. I don't know the cab, but.... no. I thin no most ppl are talking TONE not actual volume or displacement.

In my experience a Bergantino NV610 or 412 will probly equal or go a li'l louder than a SVT810, and they're a slightly smaller and lighter package. Sealed cabs with a similar tone.

Can't speak for BF et al

deff likes this.
  4. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL

Gawd dang... There's a big $$$ rig. Is that a Carl Thompson bass?!

5. No it's a Pachyderm Bass and it's mine, all of it.

LesClaypool1.jpg

6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Heady and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Lol, posted at the same time

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    It's more like 628 sq" vs. 226 sq", but your point remains.

Murch likes this.
  9. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    We're in the 21st century now. We're in a different millennium than when the Ampeg fridge was designed. Updates in cab and speaker design have made displacement almost irrelevant, and newer smaller cabs can certainly get as loud or louder than a fridge.

10. well-yes-but-actually-no-well-yes.gif

While the newer smaller cabinets can take as much power as an 8x10 - 300 watts, some even more. And can go lower in frequency, the presence in the room perhaps would be perceived differently.

8 10s high up at you back vs. a shorter newer 2x12 or 2x15 at your hips. Having said that, I'm not dragging an 8x10 for the difference, I'll stick to my little cabs :)

11. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Seriously? My Phil Jones C8 is an 800W cab. You can include the entire Mesa lineup as part of the newer smaller cabs, and I think they are all 800W cabs. GK, Berg, BF, etc... There's an entire world of smaller louder cabs. The fridge was great for its time, but really the primary reason people would choose one over the myriad of options today is nostalgia.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. I dig that, having some Mesa gear myself :)

If you read the rest of my quote, I acknowledged that :) vvv

"While the newer smaller cabinets can take as much power as an 8x10 - 300 watts, some even more."

My point was, a taller cabinet may have more presence than a shorter cabinet, wattage being the same, or even more :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 7:42 PM
  13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I wouldn't say it beats it in volume but it does win for tone. Sounds just as big but more punch. Id definitely suggest trying one out if you can

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    I apologize if I misunderstood, but it appeared as if you were insinuating that most modern cabs were of the 300W variety, with some even more than that. As if it's a rare thing to find a modern smaller cab that could keep up with a fridge. The "yes, but actually no" thing didn't help.

15. No, the 300 watts figure was for comparing the 300 watt Ampeg 8x10 cab to any other 300 watt cab. Yes the Mesa 1x15 is 400 watts the 2x15 are 800 watts.

Do you get it though?

If you take an 8x10 and put 300 watts in it and take a 1x15 and put 400 watts into it or a 2x15 with 800 watts, the 8x10 still could have more of a presence in the room even though the 1x15 or 2x15 have more power into them, simply because the 8x10 has more speaker area and perhaps more efficient speakers. It's not just a matter of a smaller cabinet keeping up with the same or more power :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 11:37 PM
  16. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    I get it, I just disagree. I think 50+ years of speaker cabinet design advances have more than made up any difference.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    No replacement for displacement.

DJ Bebop and Heady like this.
  18. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    I remember saying the same thing about car engines in the 70's.

GregC, DJ Bebop and 6thplanet like this.
  19. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    I can see both sides of the argument - but it's impossible to replicate the feel of standing in front of an 810, with a much smaller cabinet.

rodl2005 and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. And I get what you're saying. The new cabinet and the science that have gone into them.

Still even with new cabs, you must acknowledge that a 4x10 behind you is going to sound different than 2 4x10 stacked behind you? Still talking about height in the room. A 8x10 stands taller than most small high powered cabinets. And I see the newer SVT 810 Heritage handles 800 watts, so 800 watts into an 8x10 vs 800 watts into a 4x10 or 2x12 or 2x15 or 6x7 or 9x5s. I still say the taller cabinet will be percived louder because its higher in the room and still has more surface area.

Not that its better, just different and I think that's part of what still drives people to them, not me thought :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 12:10 PM
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021