Sold both of my Ampeg 810E's today.. need some advice on new setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Heady, Oct 11, 2021 at 3:51 PM.

1. And that's my point. There is a feel or presences in the room from a taller cabinet that you won't get from a shorter cabinet, no matter how much power you dump into it, IMHO. It will be loud no doubt but, it will still be at your knees :)

2. I played 8 10's for years. My back complained.......loudly. The closest sound to an 8 10 that I have experienced has been an Ampeg 2 12 AV. Sixty six pounds and will handle 600 watts. Been my go to cab for a couple of years now. The only times I have broken out the old 8 10 has been for a couple of outdoor gigs with no P.A. support.
    I also went from an SVT Classic head to a PF500 head. Some have said they don't sound the same but I have been quite happy with mine. Yeah , you can't use the same settings on the PF 500 that you use on the Classic , but with a bit of knob tweaking , you can get real close.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. I haven't met everyone, but I haven't found a 212 that'll do the feel, FEEL I say... nor volume that a decent 810 will cop.
    And I know and have tried some new 'super' cabs.
    Feel, volume and power are all very different things
    I think if I had a '800w' 212, I'd be VERY careful if I was pumping anywhere NEAR 800w into it. Think I'd have the bass control off...... for starters.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Im genuinely curious to play through any Barefaced cabs. It almost seems too good to be true. From what I've heard (over the interwebs, of course) they sound very clear, articulate, and crisp. However, most videos of the cabinets arent anywhere near the volume you would use on stage, IMO. I love the Big Twin II. So far, that's been my favorite.

5. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Think future and getting older. Smaller light weight cabs.

6. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    The Greenboy stuff looks like a fun project too, I have pretty much any tool a guy could need for woodworking/electrical and automotive. Maybe I have a project in the near future...

Gearhead17 and deff like this.
  7. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    I played through a Greenboy 212 using a darkglass amp and my then Mesa D800. I compared it to my 2 GK Neo 212's....

That cab had gobs of low end and great off axis projection. Don't know what speakers were in it but it was very nice...

Gearhead17, DJ Bebop and Heady like this.
  8. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    Try a couple of the Ampeg 210 cabs. I haven't yet, but its really the same design innit?

GregC likes this.
  9. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    I actually have a Micro-VR with the 210AV. Great cabinet, very "Ampegy" tones and moderate volumes. But, I don't imagine it comes anywhere near the fEARful or Barefaced cabs. My 210AV can barely articulate my low B at 60% volume. I'm not bashing the Ampeg cabs at all here, just stating what I've observed from owning several over the years. Also, the Ampeg is a sealed cab, most of the barefaced and fEARful models are ported. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

GregC likes this.
  10. Heady

Heady

Sep 30, 2019
    Orlando, FL
  11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Berg 610 is more than capable of doing what you need with less weight and size. It was designed to sound and feel like the fridge with more power handling. They are so good Bergantino has reintroduced them before. Now there are two, last I heard, here on TB Classified. Get one. If you need more get another. If you don't like it they are always in demand.

deff and GregC like this.
  12. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    They are as good as the hype. I will own two BB2'S they sound fuller and deeper than any other cabs I ever played through. I tried all combinations of other brands and sizes too including 12's 15's and 10's. For my money, the Barefaced BB2'S beats them all.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021