1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

*SOLD* For Sale: 1941 Kay M1 (#9602) $1800

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Jeremy Allen, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    SOLD

The Good:
    * A vintage Kay from when Kays earned their good reputation;
    * loud, full, punchy sound that never for a minute makes you think you're playing a plywood bass;
    * original fingerboard (of much higher quality than the ones on Kays from, say, the 1960s), original tuners, original tailpiece, Kay stamp on the back of the scroll, brand new bridge, new endpin and tailpiece cable;

The Bad:
    * the neck broke in that place where Kay, King, and American Standard necks break; it was repaired and seems pretty solid to me in the months I've owned it;

The Ugly:
    * there is some delamination (see photos), glued but obviously still visible.

This is a great sounding and playing Kay bass. There are flaws, but not in the sound or playability. I bought it on here last fall and then had the new bridge and some other things done to it. Some more photos here.
    $1800

IMG_0413. IMG_0421.
    IMG_0417. IMG_0418.
    IMG_0414. IMG_0419.

2. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Ha! Kays are the worst! I have one that's in total disrepair and for some reason it doesn't sound good! Based on this, I will assume that all Kays are similar!

Just kidding- awesome bass! Good luck with your sale and have a free Brandon Tuomiko bump!

3. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    "Just Bought A House" Bump--
    Need to move this along. $1800 with a Realist and a Glasser carbon fiber German bow and I'll meet you halfway up to, oh, four hours' drive away for delivery. A fine sounding bass, as Joel Kelsey can attest if he feels like it (he gave it a pluck this weekend).

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    heh-- my '41 kay is beat to heck and back. and sounds GREAT!!!!!

5. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Andy Stetson did a simple sound post adjustment (turns out the post was way out of whack) and this bass is beautiful to play now. Sounds and feels like an old Juzek.
    It's going on eBay in a few days, but I thought I'd bump it. $1800 and I'll meet you halfway within a 500-mile radius!

6. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.