1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*SOLD* Fully Carved Wan Bernadel Upright Bass for sale

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by fred pratt, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred pratt

fred pratt Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    Fullly carved Wan Bernadel upright bass for sale. It's a beautiful instrument but I must part with it to make room in my NYC apartment for my recently acquired Juzek.

Luthier Wan Chi Koon studied bass-making in Paris and recently gained access to materials that he didn't have previously, like Despiau bridges and German tuners and endpins. My bass was made in 2003 in Bejing and is violin-shaped, with a two-piece spruce top, two-piece flamed maple back, and flamed maple ribs.

The bass has a deep low end, with great sustain. The high notes sing with the sound of carved wood. Overall the bass is a bit bright-sounding when compared with my Juzek, but a flexible tailpiece cord has opened up the sound a bit and the sound should continue to darken as the bass ages. I don't play arco much, but I've been playing with a bow to break the bass in, and it sounds beautiful --really articulate--when played with a bow.

The String Emporium website describes this bass better than I can. http://www.stringemporium.com/bernadel.htm Check out the testimonials.

I've put money into this instrument beyond the initial sale price, but I'm well aware that you can buy these basses new, so I'm willing to sell it at a loss. I'm asking $3950, including Mooradian bag and Meisel stand.

2. fred pratt

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    Sorry about the quality of these, old-type camera and I don't really know what I'm doing yet. If you email me I can try to do better.

3. fred pratt

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    more photos

4. fred pratt

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    My wife and I have been sharing our New York City bedroom with two double basses for several months now and our kids have only grown bigger and more resourceful during that time.

So to try to stimulate some interest and thereby gain some space (and cash), I'm reducing my asking price to $3750.

5. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi
    Could you post a pic of the scroll and tuners?

Thanks!
    Paul (eh_train)

6. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I've been looking for a new bass at a leisurly pace... I see youre in NYC. I am interested and will pm you .

7. fred pratt

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    to Fred W. Thanks, Fred. Have a good gig tonight, and please don't forget to email me about your orchestra gig in February.

Thanks, all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.