SOLD SOLD - Guitar Factory 6-string for sale ($299 OBO)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dincrest, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hello TalkBass.

As crazy as it sounds, I'm selling my Guitar Factory 6-string bass.
    I'll also include: An ESP gig bag, Comfort Strapp with gold Straplok ends, and 6-string Bassics book/CD by David Gross

No trades please, unless you wish to trade a good bass display case. I have a bass I want to retire and just keep in a secure display case. Otherwise, my bass and amp needs are fully met.

When I say Guitar Factory, I mean this:

Guitar Factory (Guitar Factory), from what I've researched, is a small shop in Florida started by Bill Fels and Doug Montgomery. According to an article, they worked with Michael Tobias during his early days and have done work for some legendary musicians:
    For guitarists, this factory feels like home
    Business-William Fels and Douglas Montgomery - Newspapers.com
    Guitar gurus celebrate long-standing business | College Park Community Paper

I am the third owner of this bass (I bought it preowned around 2013-2014 from the second owner himself) so I have no clue as to its past. This bass was clearly handmade for its original owner, as it's a pretty unique instrument. I've never seen or played another one like it.

It is VERY clear that prior to me, this bass was no garage baby. It was a serious player and it has the battle scars to prove it. This bass was clearly gigged hard, gigged often, and has all the wear and tear of a veteran road warrior. I have zero doubt that this bass could survive a Bob's Country Bunker gig like in Blues Brothers. For all I know, it probably has survived gigs like that in its past.

(Since acquiring it circa 2014 it's only been in smoke-free studio environments, so it's enjoying a stage-free "semi-retired life" with me. It's been an excellent studio instrument with an authoritative tone).

I recently had a luthier do some maintenance on it and he says that the battle scars are all surface level, with nothing affecting the integrity of the instrument.

--------------------------------------
    Specs of this bass:

-6-string, tuned BEADGC

-Gold hardware, including recessed Dunlop Straploks, Kahler bridge, and Shaller tuners that say "Made in W. Germany."

-Active EMG soapbar pickups coupled to a 2-band preamp (controls are vol, bal, bass, treble).
    -I had a luthier install the easy-access battery box in this bass's rear cavity. He also rewired the electronics as the wiring was old and messed up when I bought the bass. These are the only mods and repairs I've had done. Otherwise, I've kept everything wholly in-tact/stock as I received it.

-Neck-through body construction. I'm guessing Maple neck with a thick-slab rosewood or pau ferro fretboard

-Figured maple top over a body that my luthier friend believes to be solid maple.

-I also don't know what the nut material is, but it appears to be either bone or TUSQ.

-34" scale [using the (nut to 12th) x 2 method], 24 fret neck with a comfortable playing profile. (I have small hands and this is one of the only 6ers I can play comfortably).

-2" wide at the nut, 3" wide at the 24th fret, and the default narrower-than-usual string spacing is excellent for chording and for players with smaller hands. But the Kahler bridge allows for spacing adjustments, so you may alter that as you see fit.

Despite its roadworn condition, this is one of the best basses I've ever owned.

--------------------------
    ...So the million dollar question. Why am I looking to sell what I called "one of the best basses I've ever owned?"

-It's a heavy beast. According to a bathroom scale it weighs 12.5 pounds, but it balances nicely enough on a strap. I named this bass Incredible Hulk because it's a big, (sorta) green, hefty bruiser.

-It's also more bass than I need. I don't utilize the high-C enough to justify having a 6-string bass.

---------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER:

I would like to do an in-person exchange only. I'm not at all comfortable about shipping a bass. I live in southern NJ (closer to Philly) and would be willing to drive up to 2 hours to do business. So most of NJ and parts of PA, DE, and even MD are doable. I used to live up in north Jersey.

---------------------------------------------------------

Please and thank you for looking! If you're interested, don't hesitate to make me an offer. I'm willing to negotiate.

(Oh, and apologies for my lousy photography skills.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    emjazz, armybass, tlite and 1 other person like this.
  2. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Wow. I live near the Guitar Factory and just want to chime in that Bill and Doug are among the most respected luthiers in Florida. They are outstanding craftsmen and they work with the best of the best. Every instrument I've tried that they built has been of the highest quality.

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Glad to meet another person familiar with Guitar Factory. There are surprisingly few of us here on TB.

I still can't wrap my head around how this bass somehow made it to me. It is a wonderful instrument; I even called it one of the best I've ever owned. But it is more bass than I really need.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. Docbass1218

Docbass1218 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    southern New Jersey
    Sent you a PM.

5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Still seeking a better home for this 6er.

I like this bass, but I'd rather it go to someone who'll actually play it than stay with me where it won't really get played at all.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Man if I had the dough. This is a fantastic instrument. I had two of them in the 90’s. Amazingly well made Basses.

Dincrest likes this.
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the reply. Always cool to meet someone else familiar with Guitar Factory. There aren’t many of us.

Yeah, it is a very cool bass that I believe would easily survive a rowdy Bob’s Country Bunker gig. Probably take out a few skulls too. It just happens to be more bass than I really need and I'd rather it go to someone who'll actually play it than stay with me where it'll just sit unplayed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Price drop! $299 or best offer.

I definitely want to move this bass since it's not getting any action from me.

I know the bass has its share of battle scars, but considering what others have said above about Guitar Factory, it could potentially be considered a Cadillac bass on a Chevy budget.

Along with the potential to be a first 6-string for someone or a backup 6-string for someone else, a fellow TBer mentioned that this could also be a good project bass for someone. For example, the neck dimensions give it potential for a 6-to-5 conversion if that's what you're into.

Please and thank you for looking!

9. Docbass1218

Docbass1218 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    southern New Jersey
    Hi . Sent you a PM.

10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Local deal in the works.

11. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...and SOLD!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021