Sold my F Bass BNF4 and bought a........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIg O, Apr 23, 2003.

1. ....a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub signature. What am I, nuts???!!

My fretless 4 was almost never played, and so I sold it to someone who collects early instruments by well known luthiers.

I have read a lot about the Skylines here on TB, and have also been looking for an old P bass to use in one of my bands (a 60's soul revue). Although I can get all the sounds I need with my 2 other F's, they look too "modern" for the band. So the Glaub fills two wants and needs at the same time (I hope!) :D

Dave at Club Bass had this on sale, and now I pick it up this Friday! I've played it at the store, and I like the looks, the tone and the neck. (Now all I need to get used to is switching back to a 4 from my 5 and 6 string F's!) I just wish the Skylines also had the pickup cover like the USA Glaub models, but maybe I can add the ash tray myself. Or should I leave it as is - any suggestions?

Here's a pic from the Club Bass website:

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    congrats, this Glaub looks great, i wound'nt bother adding the ashtray.

keep groooovin'
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hey if you weren't using your other F bass.. then I see no problem in selling it to get something that you will use... It looks sweet too.. i hope you enjoy it
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Congrats...that is a terrific bass. I played one at Club Bass a few months may have even been yours. Nice score.

As for the pickup cover - I think it looks very cool .But the reason I don't use the one I have for my '57 P RI is that I like the tone of fingerstyle plucking directly over the pickups.A little toward either the neck or bridge doesn't do it for me so the cover stays off. Otherwise I would use it.
  5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thats areally nice bass. Yea, I like the ash trays myself. I would try installing them in there if I were you. I think it would make a great looking bass, look awesome.
  6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    One more thing. How does it compare sound wise to a Fender P-bass?
  7. I haven't had a chance to A/B it with a P-Bass, but from memory I think it nails the old "P with maple neck" thump. And the fit and finish is superior to most of the production line Fenders I have played.

After I pick it up I hope to get a chance to do an A/B sometime during the next month.:bassist:
  8. Thanks for the feedback - I will definitely play it for a while before making a decision on the cover.

BTW, it is the only Glaub Skyline that Dave has had in the shop for a while, so it likely is the one you played. (I just hope you don't have a dry hacking cough and......never mind!);)

9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    BIG O - cough! cough! hack! hack! As a matter of fact the day I went to Club Bass to try your bass I stopped first for lunch at Spadina and Dundas.Sorry, bad joke !!!!

Rockbassist - I have owned a number of P's over the years and the best one has been my 1993 '57 RI(which I still have). I found the Skyline Glaub to have an overall build quality about the same, playability a little better than the P, and the tone dead on with the P.

***re tone. I have played my P with a lot of amps but most recently with Eden and Bag End gear. The Skyline was tried with a Euphonics Audio rig. There is quite a difference but I think I was able to appropriately analyse the different sonics. At any rate - the Glaub IS a Precision.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played a USA model and a Skyline model when I last visited Gard (thanks, man!;)). Anyway, I thought the Skyline was an AWESOME bass and the USA model was a little better than that!:eek:

Congrats on the excellent acquisition!:D
  11. epilogue:
    Well, I used the Skyline Bob Glaub in a band rehearsal setting for the first time tonight (or I guess since it's after midnight here now that was LAST night).

I Loved it! Great classic tone, easy to find (well even an idiot like me knows how to turn the single tone control until it sounds right!), and the neck is wonderful. It is the first time in years I have used a 4-string fretted bass in a band setting, and it really made me concentrate on the basics and where I was going. I had gotten used to the "safety net" of 5 or 6 strings, with lots of tone variants (multiple pickups, active/passive, 3 -band EQ, etc).

Looking at it more closely, the maple board is nicely figured, and the ash body is also quite stunning. I'll have to get some of my own pics on file....

I think this bass will get a lot more use than I originally envisioned.

Thanks Lakland! (and Dave @ Club Bass!) :cool: :bassist: