1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sold My Fretless :( Suggestions for New One?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, May 2, 2010.

1. Unfortunately, due to financial hardships lately, I had little option but to sell one of my basses. So last week I very reluctantly sold my MIM Fretless Fender Jazz. I know it was a cheap bass, but I've had it for like 7 years and I ****ing LOVED that bass to death. I just miss it so much :crying:.
    But anyway...once things level out for me I'm going to have to get another fretless. I loved the Fender, and will always have a place in my heart for another Jazz bass some day, but what else is there? I'm looking for something in the middle price range, about $600-$700 at the absolute most. Any suggestions? I never see many fretless basses in any stores, so I don't really know which companies make them well.
    In the event that I can't find something I like, my fall-back plan is to eventually buy another Schecter (because I am completely in love with their basses), and convert the one I own now into a fretless.
    Even though I won't be able to afford it for a little while, I figured it couldn't hurt to look for options, just for the hell of it.

2. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    I've heard good things about Squier's VM Jazzes.

3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Doesn't Schecter have a four-string fretless in about that price range?

4. I've never seen a fretless Schecter anywhere, but it's been a while since I looked at their website. It's possible, but if I'm going to buy another Schecter I'd rather just stick with my original plan to convert the old one.

5. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Keep an eye on used gear. I picked up my fretless Stingray (that I no longer have) for $500 and I've seen a couple MIA fretless Jazz basses go in the $600 range.

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I just bought a '76 fretless Gibson Ripper for like $560.00 76rippernewpg001.

7. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have a fretless Warwick 'Vette that oozes Mwahh.
    If you stick to used, you can get a pretty high quality bass for $600.

8. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
    I would watch the TB classifieds closely and go for a Stingray, Precision, Jazz, or Corvette used. Any of those could be found close to your price range. Just depends on the vibe you're looking for.

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  10. :eek::eek::eek:
    Wow dude, you just gave me some of the worst GAS of my life!!! I've played the same bass (fretted) a few times at GC and I always love it, but I've never seen it fretless. That thing must sound incredible.

@Godofthunder -- That Gibson is saaweeeeet!! Any more pics?

11. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Fretless warwicks are some of the best values out there. The low mids that warwicks excel at are perfect for fretless.

I'd personally love a fretless G&L L2000.