1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sold my jazz! New bass time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Mar 28, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    As some of you may know, I have decided to sell my Fender instead of modding it. It just seems the better way to go. And seeing that I will be making a profit selling it, that just verifies it even more.

I need some help though. I like the jazz feel, but dont like the active pups and the RW neck. I will have about $700 bones to spend after I sell it. I have looked through the Classifieds, from a used Warwick Streamer LX, to a Bongo 4HH. I just dont know what to do.

Some things I want in the bass are:
    1. Used, so I can get more bang for the buck.
    2. A maple neck, or darker than RW such as wenge.
    3. A neck close to the Jazz, I havent played a P but I hear it is beefier.
    4. I play mostly funk, classis rock, and reggae. I need something with that umph when layed with a pick, but soft modest tone when palm muting to get the Family Man feel.
    5. Not sunburst! I like things to be different, and thats too normal for me. White with tort, orange, red, etc. are great!

Any help is great guys. Im going to GC tonight, and am going to try whatever you recommend.

P.S. I started playing bass after seeing Dirk Lance play the SSII, and Flea on his MM.

Thanks!

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Not even one view? Ouch.. :(

3. the Jazz neck and Precision neck are night and day

I can only suggest a used Jazz Bass that is passive or a EBMM Sterling (which is active BTW)
    the Sterling will cost more than 700 used though

maybe an Ibanez SR??

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I was thinking a Jazz bass. They pop up on occasion on the Classifieds. I havent played a Pbass, but am doing to because they fit my criteria and work for my genres.

I have seen so many Sterlings on the Classifieds, but theyre either Active or RW, or both.

5. There's always the new MIM jazz basses with the maple necks. They're in your price range but too new to have any used ones out there.

It's possible to find a used Sterling for $700 if you look around, but you might not like the sound of it if you don't care for active basses.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Youre right, that there are. Didnt think about that. I was hoping to get a MIA, but recently the MiM are almost as good. Ill look into that.

They just offer the maple on the LPB only, IIRC.

7. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Used Geddy Lee (before people start getting too greedy)

8. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I guess I don't understand. You sold one jazz, but basically your requirements in a bass are...to be a jazz bass. Why'd you sell the one you had?

As to your question of "which bass", you could get a jazz bass special (passive, jazz neck, p/j config, but RW) or aerodyne from ebay or classifieds if you are looking for a jazz feel but not quite a jazz sound.

9. No, they offer it on all the colors according to the Fender site.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Its not that I dont like my jazz, I just dont like the active pickups and the RW neck.

I havent sold it yet, I typed the OP wrong. I plan on selling it to my friend tonight or tomorrow.

11. Don't discount a P bass. while the neck IS wider/chunkier, it can feel very nice. I have a MIJ P bass, and the carve on the neck fits the hand very well. Plus, sonically, from what you play, it should fit the bill to a "T".

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looked at a used Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn?

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    A Lakland would be a dream, seeing that Ben Kenney uses one. HE is a main reason of my picking up the bass.

Will do.

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Maybe a G&L JB-2 or SB-2.

They're not quite as popular as the Fender basses (I attribute this mainly to brand recognition), but those who dig them tend to really dig them.

BTW G&L = George (Fullerton) & Leo (Fender)

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Always wondered that. Thanks! :bassist:

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
  17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ah, why did you do that!? Price is a tad high at the moment, and I have never owned a fretless, although the lines make it simple.

Thanks for that! GAS attack!

18. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    +1 I traded my jazz for an SB-2 and I ain't lookin back. The #8 neck (I think, off hand) is a very comfortable hybrid of P and jazz profiles (narrow at the nut like a jazz) with a high-radius fingerboard that is way more playable than any Fender I can remember playing

19. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    G&L immediately came to mind. I have an L1000 and an L2000 and they are awesome! Incredible versatility, fantastic necks, and you don't see a whole lot of players out there rocking them.