Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sold the thumb....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 5, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    and i am sad. i sold it to a student of mine so i know it'll be treated well, and i get visitation during our lessons, but still...it's like a part of me is gone. but my back and left arm just couldn't handle it anymore, that thing has to have both the coolest looking and worst ergonomically designed body out of any bass (save maybe some alembics?)

but...i've got a 1998 streamer stage II 5 string enroute. so that should make me happy again. i know i'm taking a little risk buying a bass i've never played before, but every warwick i've ever played has been really consistant, so i know this one will be great. and the thumb and SSII have the exact same neck, bridge, string spacing, etc...so it'll play the same. the only differences will be in the tone and balance department, both of which i'm sure will be improvements.

i wanted an SSII when i got my thumb anyways...i had a custom LX spec'd out just like an SSII and was a week away from ordering when the thumb came into the store and they gave me a price i couldn't pass up. so....

now i just have to wait for the UPS guy. that is a suck.

i'll attach a pic of her. wheeeeeeeeeee!!!

jason

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Sorry about the back, arm, and selling your bass. :(

But hey, you got a new bass in return(Well, you PAID for one)! :) Cool beans!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hey 5S, the SSII ain't that much lighter! ;) It's still a great bass!

4. Hey on the bright side at least you don't need to change your screen name.

Why the streamer? is it a lot lighter that the thumb or does it have less neck dive problems.

a curious party

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    less neck dive. the upper strap horn is in a much better place. it actually stays where i put it (speaking from experience with bolt on streamers and NT spectors with the same body)

jason

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason, I'm sad and happy for you at the same time. Sad about the Thumb, but I am sure that you will love the SSII. Great bass, and much better balance than the Thumb.

I love the tone of the Thumb NT, but numerous attempts at playing one standing up for more than a few minutes at GC convinced me that I would have problems with it. I once owned an inexpensive small bodied wideneck 5, and it had the same balance problems as the Thumb. I tried to get used to it for several months, but got tired of my left wrist being in constant pain unless I didn't play for 4 or 5 days.

Enjoy your new Warwick!:cool:

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Jason from Phat Phunktion? Well I'll be damned!

Sold the Thumb? Too heavy? Can't handle the design? Jesus, if a sixty year old Jack Bruce can carry one on stage night after night all the while singing his arse off, I'd a thought a strapping young lad like you would have been able to handle it easy. Maybe I should talk to Jon or Tim and see about getting you a health club membership to help you build up your muscles. :)

All kidding aside, we (Alex and I) are big Phat Phunktion fans but I think you made a mistake selling the Thumb. The only bass I ever considered owning besides our Fender 62 jazz bass reissues and my 66 p bass was the Warwick Thumb. Wish I had known you were selling it maybe we could have struck a deal. Anyhoo, good luck with the new bass.

P.S. When is the new CD coming out? I hear it's quite different.

8. That's too bad about the Thumb Jason, I hope the Streamer works out for you! It sure looks nice (I love the NS/Streamer body shape).

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

hehe...JB may be an old duffer, but he does play a 4 instead of a 5, and he's also a good deal larger than me. it's not the weight that was the problem, it was how the thing balanced on my body. what can i say, i am but a sissy girl. :(

but yeah...i'm gonna miss that tone. :( embellisher, you said you played an SSII with bassline pickups that sounded like a thumb?

glad to hear from a fan of the band! we're playing new years eve at the barrymore, you should come to see the SSII in action :) (do you know any of the other guys?) the CD's coming out in spring, probably late april. and it's pretty different. new people on it (like me) lots of different influences....it sounds incredible right now and it's not even finished being tracked, not to mention mixed. trust me, you'll know when it comes out. :evil grin: we've got a pretty substantial promo plan being planned.

jason

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason, to me it sounded pretty darned close, I thought it nailed it, though others here have disputed my claims.

It had a 3 band pre, no idea what make or model though. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it.

11. Damn it man !!!!

well ok you stuck with warwick anyway.

12. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    They are short on ergonomics but what a sound.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [but he does play a 4 instead of a 5,

That 'B' really weighs a ton, uh?

[and he's also a good deal larger than me.

He's really quite small. Puny hands too. Speaking of Jack Bruce you know he's going to be at the Park West in Chicago on 12/14. I've seen him three times ~ once in 1968 with Cream, then with West Bruce and Lang and then a couple of years ago with Ringo's band. He's an amazing bassist and musician. You should go see him if you can. Unfortunately, we'll be out of town that weekend or I'd be headed there myself. The Park West is a great venue ~ last time I was there was 1979 for Weather Report, seems to me that they also had a pretty good bass too. Hmmm, lets see what was his name... :)

[it's not the weight that was the problem, it was how the thing balanced on my body.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I do love the Thumbs. The other Warwicks just didn't do much for me.

[glad to hear from a fan of the band! we're playing new years eve at the barrymore, you should come to see the SSII in action

I might just do that, although the acoustics at the Barrymore suck.

[(do you know any of the other guys?)

Sure. I know Jon pretty well. My son plays bass for Jon at the Memorial h/s jazz band. I know Tim, mostly from speaking to him at PP gigs. My son goes to the jazz jams at the Kings Club (school/work schedules permitting) so we know him from there too. I'm a good friend of Rob too.

[the CD's coming out in spring, probably late april. and it's pretty different. new people on it (like me) lots of different influences....it sounds incredible right now and it's not even finished being tracked, not to mention mixed. trust me, you'll know when it comes out. :evil grin: we've got a pretty substantial promo plan being planned.

Well I'll keep my ears open.