Soldano GTO

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by permagrin, Mar 31, 2004.

1. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I like opinions on this pedal from anyone who's tried one.

It's built like a tank, prohibitively expensive, apparently very similar to a H&K tube-somethingorother.

I tried one out with a P-bass. Seems to me like a one-trick pony, but what it does it does exceedingly well (sounded very strong for the guitarist who owns the thing). Basically, it took what I was playing and added a distoted rock god rhythm guitarist playing power chords following the bass exactly. Huge sound, very fun to play with. Funny, but when using it with the group a lot of the effect got lost in the mix.

Anyway, I've never been an fx kinda guy, maybe a little chorus, but this thing blew me away. It rocked. And I've always thought of bass overdrive as adding a little edge to the sound, not making my bass sound like Yngwie the way this thing does. No way I could justify buying one of these, but is there anything that'll come close without costing huge $$$? TIA.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Did it keep ALL your low-end intact or roll off at 50-70+Hz???

3. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I believe the low end remained intact, but I don't recall for certain.

FWIW, this was the Soldano GTO Supercharger. And it did have a certain "muscle car" vibe to it. Great box, very high end gear, but apparently has noise problems that are difficult or impossible to overcome.
  4. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Try the akai unibass- no longer in production but not rare yet.
    There was one available in the classifieds section here a few days ago. I've not tried it but from what I hear it does exactly what you want.

I'm pretty certain boss make a harmoniser that you can use to add octaves and fifths in the upper registers- but I seem to remember it doesn't colour the additional notes it gives you with od or synth souns like the unibass does.

There's probably more out there but these are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.
  5. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    What did the pedal do exactly? Is it just a distortion pedal? If so, there's plenty of posts about using various distortion pedals for bass (I think there's a sticky one at the top of the effects page)

Or was it more of an octave effect?
  6. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Thanks dirt, I'll try to check one out.

hieronymous, this is just a distortion box for electric guitar. I think it was designed to emulate the preamp section of some vintage "holy grail" type of guitar amp. When I messed around with it with a bass, it emphasized some of the higher harmonics in such a way that any single note came out sounding like a power chord with a huge, warm, fuzzy distortion. So kinda like a bass and a guitar, all with rich distortion. Sounded great solo.