Solder, cable, and what not.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by santucci218, Feb 27, 2010.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I just went to solder some cables, and let me tell you the solder i have is horrid. it gums up and gets dirty and what not. i know there are different types of solder. some melt at lower heats and glide more smoothly when melted. thus, i assume there is a kind that is best for making instrument cables. what is best for this? Also, where do you guys buy cable? I have some standard instrument cable im using, but i can tell its not as insulated or as nice as my monster cable wire. where can i just buy the nicer wire?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This solder should work quite well:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=370-052

It's only an ounce of solder, but an entire pound costs a lot if you're not planning on making soldering your life. Soldering will always evolve some flux. For cables, you can just leave it there.

I'm happy with the ProCo cable from Parts Express as well. Choose your poison for connectors. I always liked the Switchcraft 280 plug, but some of the Neutrik plugs may have a more modern cable clamp.

If the cable that you have is shielded, reasonably flexible, and seems rugged enough, then it's as nice as the monster cable wire. I'd suggest practicing with that stuff until you are happy with your soldering technique.

3. jaibot

jaibot

May 11, 2009
    central new jersey
    hm, i just use a giant thing of 60/40 that i have in my basement and it works great.
    make sure your tip is clean, and all surfaces are clean, and also make sure its adequately heated before you touch the solder to the are to be soldered. And even id it does look dirty, as long as it flows into the joint smoothly, you should be fine.

4. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Is there a link for soldering on TB? It may not be very difficult, but if you've never seen it or done it, it may be good information as far as what you'll need and how its done. I have to resolder the jack in my bass because the black broke off.

Make sure all the jack nuts on your instruments are tight kids.

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    well, again, i know how to solder. i rewire guitars at work all the time. i just wanted to know what solder was the best to use is all.

6. jaibot

jaibot

May 11, 2009
    central new jersey
    oh, oh, sorry for doubting you
    just use 60/40 lead in a thin gauge
    with a rosin core

7. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I haven't done it yet.

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ha, i hope that wasnt cocky sounding or anything! thank you though, jaibot.

9. +1 This is the tried and true solder for any electronics work -- 60% Tin (Sn), 40% lead (Pb).

There are a lot of new solders out as everybody is trying to get away
    from the lead. There are a lot of water-soluble rosins as this makes
    clean-up easier/safer for production. And there is acid core solder
    intended for plumbing (all solder rosin is acidic but this stuff is extra acidic).

Personally, I'm sticking with the tried and true stuff as long as I can.

10. Don't use lead-free solder. There's no reason for it. It's a pain in the ass. The only reason it's used now is for RoHS compliant electronics. Stick with the 60/40

11. yep, I have tried the silver alloy ones, and they don't flow nice at any temperature I am used to for soldering small electronic parts.

12. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    been using MG silver for awhile, no problems yet. have to buy more soon. only $3 where I live

[​IMG]

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021