Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solder vs. faston clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fsanfili, Apr 9, 2005.

1. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm putting a new speaker in my bass cab, and curious what you all reccomend -- is it worth the hassle of soldering the wires to the speaker, or is it just fine to use clips (fastons?) to hold the wires in place?

2. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    My wife has worked for GTE/Verizon for almost 24 years. About 1987 they switched from all soldered connection on their cable frames to wire wrap and gel splices. Considering they don't ever move they are very good connections.

If the female side of the faston is crimped tight before connecting they will hold well. They are used on cars a LOT.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'm an electrician by trade (day job to feed the music habit, etc) and we NEVER solder anything. All of it is either wire nutted, crimped, stake-on'd, taped, screwed, etc. Cars as well rarely have soldered connections, because a solder joint is rigid, and doesn't respond well to repeated, low-level vibration. As long as your faston connections are tight, they should be fine.

4. I'm not an electrician, but I have to ask about the validity of using Faston connectors in high current applications. Fastons appear to contact only the high spots on a friction fit. Wire nuts provide full contact with a mechanical grip.

High current automobile connections (starters, batteries) are bolted together and have lots of surface-to-surface contact area. It is for this reason I use Speakon connectors instead of 1/4" plugs.

I use Faston connectors on my Speakon jacks, then solder the Fastons to the lugs for additional contact.