1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soldering a capacitor (i.e. Am I doing this right?)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TyKao, Mar 22, 2006.

1. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm making decent progress on my parts PBass project, but I'm a bit stumped as to what would be the best way to solder my orange drop capacitor to ground.

Background:
    I've coated the pickguard, the body and the pickup cavities (but not the wire rout leading to the bridge) with several coats of shielding paint and I was hoping to use a star-grounding scheme where I'd solder almost every ground connection wire to a solder terminal and then put the loop over the shaft of the volume pot and use the locking nut on the pot and the shielding as my ground connection.

The Big Question:
    However, I bought a wiring kit with this kind of capacitor:

[​IMG]

I'm not quite sure what to do as the wires are long, but not long or flexible enough for me to also include it in the star grounding. Should I just clip the wires and solder it to the back of the tone pot for grounding? I'm nervous about potentially destroying my tone pot by overheating it since I'm a soldering novice.

Maybe I can stretch the wires out horizontally and solder one end to the ground lug of the cable jack?