Soldering Blend Pot on a 6 String Active Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CalephR, May 5, 2021.

1. CalephR

CalephR

Jan 22, 2020
    Can anyone direct me to any information on soldering a blend pot? I've got a 6 string ESP that I am trying to repair and haven't been successful finding much other than a couple of diagrams on google images. The replacement part I'm going to order is an Alpha Potentiometer 500k blend pot.

This bass also has dual truss rods also so I'm going to work towards setting this bass up once I get this pot installed.

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Did it have a 500k blend pot in it already? That would be pretty high for an active bass. 250k blends are pretty typical, or sometimes just 25k on active basses.

Otherwise, blend pots are pretty straightforward:

Blend Pot Wiring | stewmac.com

RSBBass likes this.
  3. CalephR

CalephR

Jan 22, 2020
    All of the other pots are 500k. I’m pretty sure it came like this stock.

4. CalephR

CalephR

Jan 22, 2020
    I don’t have the original part. I do know that the volume pot is 500k, though. Thanks for the diagram. Would you just tin your ground wire and connect to those two posts? Would I need to use anything to connect those posts to the side of the pot?

5. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    You can always try a given pot, then switch it later if it doesn't sound good to you.

And yes you'd just solder a wire from those two terminals to ground. The case of the pot doesn't technically have to be grounded but many people do that out of convention. I don't generally do it in active basses.

6. CalephR

CalephR

Jan 22, 2020
    This may be a silly question, but how would I solder the output and ground wire to each of their pairs of posts? I'm sure if the wire was tinned as well as the posts I could get them to hold. The output wire is extremely thick so I don't know if I can get that wire hot enough to tin it.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you can't get the wire hot enough to tin it; you won't be able to get it hot enough to solder it to the pot either. Take it to a pro, or get a higher wattage soldering iron.

Also, having a third hand is very helpful.
    2-ProsKit-900-015-Helping-Hands-300x300.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/ProsKit-900-...adid=241892964465&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007918&hv

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  8. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Can you snap a quick photo? Guitar wiring is usually quite fine gauge, even the thickest and gnarliest wires and cables used are relatively puny and should be trivial to tin and solder with pretty much any soldering iron on the planet. The only real "hard" soldering job in a guitar is sticking wires to the backs of pots, since pot cases can act like heat sinks and cool down a wimpy iron. But soldering typical wires to the terminals on a push pull takes very little energy.

9. CalephR

CalephR

Jan 22, 2020
    I have a basic weller soldering iron. What little I’ve used it so far I have found the sweet spot around 3.5 for tinning normal/thin wires.

I’ll try to snap a picture of it this evening. It’s the wire coming from the volume pot.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022