1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soldering EMG Solderless Pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cuzzie, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Morning chaps.

I picked up some EMG HB pick ups to ‘upgrade’ my Hohner B2A bass.

I was getting problems with intermittent signal when I tried to use the solderless connectors onto the barrel jack RST as the supplied jack would not fit the bass.

It would work for about 20 mins and then would have problematic intermittent signals, so I soldered them to the jack and it’s still not right.

My next assumption is that it could be the other end of connections where it slides onto the pins.

Done a load of research and it seems a not uncommon problem that because the wire is of a fixed length, in a tight cavity they are bent and it affects signal.

The question is am I OK to clip off the solderless connectors and solder the bare wires to the pins on the vol and tone units provided, or must I go to old school pots?

For clarity you can see a representation of the leads and pins on the diagram

Each connector generally straddles 2 pins

2B54BEA4-AC43-44D1-A077-59FDD9553A92. A3E8AAF8-78C1-4FF1-BB62-672A03FF13CA.
    Cheers

2. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    You can cut off the connectors and solder the wires, but before I'd do that I'd make really sure that the connection is bad and not just replace all of them. Even some bending of the wires shouldn't be a problem as the connector pins are fairly long. If you have enough room to cut off the connector and still have enough wire to work with, I'd say the wire isn't too short as it is. Are pushing the connectors on all the way?

3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I’d be more inclined to replace the jack first. You could always lap solder a splice in, heat shrink the connection, then solder to the jack. If going to that route, I would definitely replace the jack with a new one before soldering in

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Try a new barrel jack 1st

5. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Now I'm confused. If the problem is just the jack, then yes, just solder the wire on it. In your post you ask about the pots. If they aren't a problem, don't touch them. Goes back to what I was saying about finding where the problem is and just fixing that.

In my experience the connectors to the pots are really good, the connectors to the jack can be a bit sketchy.