Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soldering Headphones

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by daveze, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm having some problems soldering a set of headphones back into functionality. All I should be doing is wiring the input jack together, which I'd done before but didn't do particularly well and has since fallen apart (not to mention being wired wrong in the first place).

Its a stereo set, with all 3 sets of wires in one main rubber housing, seperated by really annoying insulation stuff thats on each individual strand. How the heck do I get the insulation off? I've tried tinning the wires, and I've got the ground (copper one, don't think its actually got insulation) done but the blue and red ones won't take.

Last time I scraped the stuff off with a knife, which left me with about half the number of strands of wire left, is this the only way?

Josh D

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The best way is to use wire strippers. This is an inexpensive tool designed specifically for this purpose.

Using a knife would rank low on the methods of stripping wires.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Err... there is probably any number of electronic forums on the net which can help you with this problem, not a bass pickup forum :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.