Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 12, 2004.

1. I plan on purchasing a Soldering Iron sometime soon. I do have welding experience (took a class sophmore year) now,I am trying to make my SX non-noisy,by doing so do I just solder over the exposed wire and thats it? or what.

Any help would be appreciated,thanks.
  2. snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Unless you know why your SX is making noise, I wouldn't recommend resoldering anything. What did you plan on resolding? Are you planning on resoldierng your cord? Or something in your amp? Soldering is nothing like welding. You have to think about the delicate circuitry that was probably done by a machine which could be destroyed by overheating the circuit by leaving the soldering iron on too long.
  3. I see your point. I just thought exposed wires = noisy. whenever I move the bass where the cord would have to give some slack or change "position" it gets all staticy. and sometimes I wont get any sound at all. I definitly dont wanna shell out big bucks for a pro to look at it.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Have you looked inside yet? If you wiggle the wires connected to the output jack and see that the solder is loose and the wire easily jiggles inside the hole on the jack tang, then all you need to do is remove the wire, clean the hole, and resolder it back on.

This static/cut out problem could also be caused by the jack tang being bent a bit too far out. If the wires look ok, gently bend the long tang inwards (toward jack center) and then plug in the cable and confirm that solid contact is made.
  5. But if your sound clicks sometimes when you move, resoldering the wires to the input jack will maybe help.
  6. I knew this wasnt gonna be just a small job:(

Im not putting more than $20 into this bass...I shouldnt have to,its not even a year old!
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Shielding is only if you have hum/buzz. The static/cutting out problem you describe is probably a jack problem.
  8. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Soldering like a previous TBer said is totally different to welding, its a totally different art to get right!

By the sound that your describing, you may find that it is the lead and 1/4" jack plug, it could also be the socket itself.

Firstly check the inside of the jack plug, remove the casing and look to see if there are any obvious stray strands of copper wire. This could cause the loss of sound or cracking effect, this happens when the two conductors "short out".
    If this is the case then they do need to be soldered back to there respected terminals.

True as Jondog said shielding stops unwanted interference from RF and other frequency which can be picked up by the wiring inside the bass.

Hope this helps!