Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soldering pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist4christ, Dec 30, 2005.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Is the a trick to soldering the black wires to the bottem of the pots? I'v been trying for about 45 mintues and I just can't get them to stick to it. Thanks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What color are the back of the pots? If they are silver/grey, then just make sure your iron is heated up properly. If they are gold, you will have to file off some of the coating to be able to solder to them.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup

4. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I have silver pots. I'm using ne of those cold heat soldering irons, and I think that batterys are just going bad. So I'll try again later.

5. If you're soldering to pots then you may want to reconsider your wiring design.

6. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    That's the way the wiring diagram from fender's website says to do it.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you shield your cavity with copper foil tape it really isn't necessary to solder to the back of the pots, since they will be grounded from contact with the foil, plus the whole cavity will be shielded anyway. The point of soldering to it is to shield it.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Your problem may be with Cold Heat. From anyone who knows how to solder and does it plenty, I pretty much hear it's a piece of trash over and over.

However, just rough it up with Sandpaper as long as the pot is metal.

9. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Get a real soldering iron, you will be much happier with the results. :p

10. The problem with soldering to the pots (other than that it's hard) is that you want each part of your circuitry to have only one path to the ground. If you've got foil that all the pots touch, and then they each get a wire on their casing as well then you'll make a loop. It would be easiest to send a wire to only one pot and let the foil shielding ground the other casings. Even easier would be putting a ring lug on the end of your ground wire and putting it around the threaded part of the pot like a washer. I realize that Fender's wiring diagrams are different, but Fender has some strange ideas about how to wire an instrument.

If you don't have any foil on your pickguard then you will have to ground each pot casing somehow. You might want to consider adding some though, since it will help sheild your circuitry.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    If by some chance the "Cold Solder" junk ever gets the pot hot enough to flow solder, it will have been almost hot long enough to have melted everything inside the pot. Useless.

You want a 40W iron so you can heat the pot casing quickly so the solder will flow but the insides don't cook.

C'mon. A Radio Shack iron is like $9 and you can get a real Weller at Home Depot for $15. No excuses. Do it right and it's easy.

12. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    +1!

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That "Cold Heat" stuff counts on having a thin wire to solder to. What these soldering irons do is they send a very low voltage, but high amp bit of electricity through a small wire, thus heating it enough to flow solder. It is not for anything thicker than 16 ga. wire.

14. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey

I saw on TV where you can use "cold solder" to repair
    guitar strings. Anyone know if you can repair bass strings too?

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no, you cannot repair bass strings. they are to thick, and if you WERE able to fix them (say, after a breakage) it would totally mess up how they sounded. How can you fix a guitar string, anyways?