Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

soldering question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by permagrin, Aug 11, 2005.

1. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I have a frankenjazz with MIM pots, recently got a loaded Lakland control plate (from the classifieds here!) to replace.

The new pots are all wired up, I should be able to just solder the pickup leads. My problem is that the wires from one pot to the next go directly over the pots' cases, no slack at all, and if I heat up the case (to solder the pickup leads on), I'm afraid it'll melt the insulation of those wires. Is this so, in which case I'll need to resolder everything, or will it be okay?

2. well, if the insulation melts, unless it's also supposed to be wired to the pot casing, that's bad. Can you resolder the affected wires to give them some slack?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You may want to just resolder them with longer leads as-is, anyway. Heating the casing, if insulation is on it, can cause insulation to melt, especially if you're heating close to it. Or, you might just want to look for a new place to solder... I'm assuming that you're talking about the ground wire, and if so, you've a few options open...

-Ray

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    The only "shortcut" I could come up with would be to slide a small (thin) piece of cardboard betweeen the leads and the case while I'm heting things up, but I doubt I could slide anything in there, there's just so little slack.

So I guess no shortcuts, just re-do the whole shebang. Bummer. Just 'cuase it'll take me the better part of an afternoon to do it, I'm lame with the ol' iron. Guess I need more practice...