1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Soldering Question....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SimplemanBB450, Apr 28, 2009.

1. I'm definately a noob when it comes to soldering so please be gentle ;)

When it comes to solding the wires on the pod (not for grounding but to connect to the tabs) what is the proper proceedure? Do you hook the wire through the tab and solder it all together? The tabs have a small hole at the end of it and i am unsure of the proper way to adhere the wire to it. Your input would be great apprieciated. Thanks.

2. It makes it a lot easier to slip the tinned wire through the tab and then solder it, otherwise you'll need to hold the wire in place.

3. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    "tin" the wire first, then run the wire thru the eyelet, then solder to the lug.

to tin the wire, heat it with the soldering iron then apply solder. careful not to heat the wire too long because the insulation will melt.

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Generally the rule with soldering is "good mechanical connection = good electrical connection". So, for this case you should hook the wire through the tab if possible. If the hole is too small, the next best option is to loop it round the narrow neck of the tab.

5. 'rumblinbass' sums it up very nicely... and as was also mentioned, don't overheat the wire end as the plastic insulation with darken then melt. So.. tin..insert...solder..finally, snip off excess wire end... Soldering takes some getting used to, so do some practice 'runs' on some scraps prior to working on that pot... its fun, so enjoy!

-Rob

6. Thank you guys so much - very insightful. One final quick question. Tin the wires first, then solder to lug, i got that. When applying the heat, are you heating the lug or the "tinned wire"?

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Heat the entire connection.