1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soldering Silver Tape

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cessna928, May 1, 2010.

1. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    Can you solder the silver tape used for shielding. I know I probably should have used the copper tape, but I had some silver tape laying around from when I worked HVAC and thought "what the heck." The only down side is that it doesn't solder very well. I may just pull it and put a few layers of shielding paint in and be done with it.

Any thoughts?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I think the silver HVAC tape is plastic. If so, it'll never solder. In fact, it may not even be metallic, which would make it useless for shielding.

3. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I've shielded with the silver tape before and its not useless for shielding. Definitely saw an improvement in my P bass when I taped it. However, I don't know its solder-ability.

4. Rick Auricchio

I suppose it depends on the tape.

5. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If your silver tape is metal, it's aluminum and will not take solder.

mech

6. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    You probably thinking of the mesh plastic stuff some people use. We use commercial silver tape, which is basically just aluminum foil with adhesive applied. Very sticky, very strong, and will absolutely cut the crap out of you.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most tapes that aren't designed to be "shielding tape" use adhesives that are non-conductive, so if you use such a tape make sure you are using one solid piece, because the adhesive won't allow it to make contact from piece to piece, which would limit its effectiveness.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    maybe you could sink a little screw through two layers of tape in hopes of connecting them.

this issue is why the copper tape with the conductive adhesive is the right stuff for the job. it works without being soldered, and takes solder easily if you do use it that way.

9. Rick Auricchio

Trying to get contact with screws is probably an exercise in futility. Even if it works, eventually it will lose contact...perhaps at the worst time.

If you're going to do the job, do it right the first time.

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Nix on the aluminum tape, unless you lay it in one continuous piece and then screw the ground wire to it. It'll work on the pick guard, but difficult for the cavities.

11. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    Aluminum tape is all I've ever used. No problems for me for over 20 years. Shields RF as good as copper and is cheaper. I wouldn't try to solder it, but there is more than one way to ensure continuity between pieces.

12. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Yeah... couldn't you just fold the long edge back (adhesive to adhesive) about 1/4"? Then, overlapping the pieces will make contact... add a screw for peace of mind (like you know, shaggy... the inside of that cavity sees a serious amount of abuse! lol). Job done.